14 Things To Stop Saying To 'Tiny' Women

My size is not a topic of discussion.

390
Personal photo

People come in all shapes and sizes. Despite this fact, criticism about body shapes still runs rampant. Many believe that only people on the "plus" side experience criticism, however, I, being quite on the "small" scale, can attest that I receive many comments and jokes about my size; statements that really are uncalled for. If you're a tiny gal, I can bet that you've heard at least a few, if not all of these comments. And if you're someone who wouldn't classify themselves as "tiny" and are on the other side uttering such comments: stop.

1. “You’re SoOoOo tiny! 

media.giphy.com

Wow, thank you so much for enlightening me and making me aware of my body shape and pointing it out to me…I had no idea!

2. “You look like you’re 12!” 

Um, since when is age associated with size?

3. "You need some meat on your bones.”

media.giphy.com

I'm not an animal for harvest, thus I don't need any "meat" on my body.

4. “You’re so skinny, do you even eat?” 

media.giphy.com

No, I'm like a plant-I just photosynthesis and get all my nutrients from the sun.

Obviously I eat or I'd be something called...dead.

5. “You need to eat more.” 

media.giphy.com

I'll eat what I want, when I want it…thank you!

6. “How do you find clothes that fit?”

media.giphy.com

It's a struggle for sure, but fear not, stores like PacSun, Hollister, and Brandy Melville come to the rescue for us tiny people!

7. “Men like women with curves.”

media.giphy.com

That's a pretty large generalization given the fact that different people have different preferences. Also, ever consider that I don't really give a damn about what "men like?" Because I sure as heck don't, I'm not here to impress anyone.

8. “Go eat a burger!” 

media.giphy.com

• Sure it may be intended to be a joke, but if I were to tell a larger person to "go eat a salad," everyone would loose their minds. However, for someone to tell me to "go eat a burger" because I'm small, it's perfectly acceptable. Please explain.
  • 9. "You don't look healthy" 

media.giphy.com

Healthy is a status, not a look: you're not my doctor, nor do you have my bloodwork results or health assessments, so how do you know how "healthy" (or "unhealthy") I am? Oh, that's right...you don't! You can't determine health based on appearance.

*note: there is indeed a borderline to health based on appearance: obviously being morbidly obese or skinny to an EXTREME point, but being bigger or larger in general is not an indicator of health.

10. "Real women have curves.”  

media.giphy.com

Hmm, that's funny, because according to Merriam-Webster, a "woman" is defined as "an adult female person." It seems as though nothing about size is indicated in the true definition, so nice try at attempting to push your preferences as a truth.

11. “You have no body fat, that’s why you’re always cold!” 

media.giphy.com

No, I'm cold because someone thinks it's a good idea to keep the temperature on 50 degrees with the fan blowing on high.

(P.S.: I also suffer from circulation issues; issues that are NOT related to the lack of "body fat" that you perceive me to have, so again, nice try).

12. “You’re just skin and bones!”

media.giphy.com

In a physical sense, yes, that's all we ALL are, so don't act like you're better.

13. *Tries guessing your weight  

media.giphy.com

Aren't we old enough to know that someone's weight is not a casual topic of discussion? You wouldn't dare crack jokes trying to guess the weight of someone who is larger, so why is it acceptable to do the same for someone who is small?

14. “You would look so much better if you gained some weight.” 

media.giphy.com

HOW. RUDE. You're basically telling me that I don't look good enough-if I "would look better," than I obviously don't meet your standard as of right now. Sorry, but I'm not here to please you or your standards. My body is not your business.

In conclusion, all of these "jokes" and comments are hurtful and wrong. Really, one's size is not your business, and as mother used to say: "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."