An Open Letter To My Mother

An Open Letter To My Mother

Things you should know before it's too late

24
An Open Letter To My Mother
Melissa Fayard

I firmly believe the greatest kind of love comes from an unbelievably great people: Mothers. They are so attached to us, way before we exit the womb. They nurture, care, and raise us to be the bright men and women we will soon become. So here's to my mother, and the things I should've told her before.

Dear Mother,

I'd like to take the time to highlight some things about you that I love so much. To start things off, I appreciate everything you've ever done for me up until this point of my life. Because of you I am the woman I am today, and I could not be happier with how I turned out.

For years on end I watched you give your time, health, and social life up for not just me but all of your kids. We've watched you struggle but yet you've never complained. Never complained about how tired you were, or how annoyed you were with all the things we put you through. That right there shows how incredibly strong of a woman you are. Even on your sickest days you put us first and for that I am truly grateful.

Next I would like to thank you for every single thing you've ever done for me. Thank you for being there when things got a little crazy for me. Thank you for the endless relationship advice, and being there when they went bad. Thank you for giving me a shoulder to cry on always, and the countless hugs you've given me. Most importantly, thank you for believing in me when most people didn't. For if it wasn't for the faith you'd given me I wouldn't be where I am today!

I would also like to take the opportunity to let you know, that it is in fact about you sometimes. Not everything you do has to be planned around your kids. We are all older and have left the nest. You need your rest, you need your health, and it's time you start putting that before us. We'll still love you no matter what. I've watched you suffer to try and take care of us when you were physically weak. Now it's our turn to take care of you no matter what we have on our hands.

I vow to you, mother, that when you end up getting to that age where things start to fall apart, I'll be there. I vow to give you a shoulder to lean on like you gave me. I vow to be the rock that stands strong for you, and the one that will hold onto you when you can no longer be strong for yourself. Super woman can not always win. Most importantly I vow to raise my children with the same patience, love, compassion, and generosity that you raised me with. I vow to give them the same guidance that you have given me. I also vow to love them unconditionally like you love me. Thanks for all you do, mom! I love you.

Sincerely,

Your daughter!