24 Things McDonalds Customers Need To Know

I state these things in the nicest way possible. Sometime y'all are rude and hateful.

269
Danielle Balint

McDonald's serves around 68 million customers daily between the 36,5000 locations. Working for this company for almost four years, I have dealt with a very large number of customers. Between the early morning regulars, to people passing though traveling, I've talked to them all. But at the end of the day, there are many things that us employees get upset with. We understand that we make mistakes, but there's no reason to treat us they way you do. At all my other places of work, I have never been so disrespected and treated so poorly, and it's all because you customers think that we aren't people. You, as customers, need to take a step back and realize what you are doing to us employees.

1. Have your order ready when you get to the microphone.

Before you pull up to the microphone, please think about what you want to eat. Time starts with you as a customer, so if you want to get out of there faster, know what you want.

2. Don't scream hello as soon as you pull up.

As soon as you pull up, the headset begins to ding. Four out of five times, we are doing something between orders, so give us a second to answer. The microphone also starts so I can hear anything you say as soon as you pull up. If you scream hello, I will purposely make you wait longer, because that is very disrespectful.

3. If we say "I'll be right with you," don't get pissy.

Like mentioned before, many of times we are doing things between orders such as stocking or running to the back to get more sweat tea. If we ask for a few seconds, give it to us. You have no clue what is going on in the store.

4. I type in the order how you say it.

All the time I am being told that I rang in the order wrong. No. I ring in the order exactly how you say it, so if you say you want your cheeseburger plain, it will only be meat, bun and cheese. If you wanted ketchup and cheese only, you should have said that. I've been doing this job for four years; I know how to take orders correctly.

5. Speak normally when talking to me.

I'm not stupid. I have a 3.5 GPA at a university while also working. So when you talk to me, talk to me as a normal person. Don't scream or speak slowly to me; just talk as a normal person.

6. If I ask a question, don't act like I'm stupid -- I am just double checking.

Sometimes, you customers speak so quickly that I can't catch everything you say. So if I double check that the cheeseburger is plain; don't get an attitude with me, or don't repeat the whole order. I just asked if the cheeseburger is plain, so respond with yes or no.

7. When ordering a number seven, or any number in general, it comes with fries and a drink.

When you order a value meal, you get the value. Do not say, "I want a number seven, but not the drink." That is not the number seven. You need to order just the sandwich. Because when you say the number seven, we type in the entire meal and then you guest get all pissy because you didn't want the meal. Order correctly for less frustration.

8. Everything has a size, expect for burgers and ice cream cones.

We don't have small cheeseburgers, or medium ice cream cones. It's all one size for one price. The only thing that comes in multiple sizes is the fries, drinks and nuggets.

9. The new policy is ask, ask, tell. Just say yes or no if it's your order.

It is policy for me to repeat the order to you when you're done, so please don't get an attitude with me. I'm just doing my job. If you have an issue with that you can call the 1-800 number.

10. Listen to the total I tell you, not the one on the screen.

After we are done typing in the order, we always say something like, "If that is correct your total will be (whatever the amount is)." The screen tells you the total before tax, so don't come to the window arguing with me.

11. Have your money ready when you get the window. Don't be messing around trying to find it.

Everyone complains how long the employees take, but it's not always us. Some of you customers take two or three minutes just to find your money. I mean, come on, get your life together.

12. The word "fast food" starts with you guys.

So don't scream at me because you didn't know what you wanted, and then didn't have your money ready. Every second longer you take to order or get your money out is not on me. It's on you.

13. If we ask you to pull forward, don't be pissy about it, just do it.

Don't be ignorant. We ask you to pull forward many times due to holding on fresh food to be made. Most of the time we pull you forward is because the person behind you only has a drink or fries -- something we can gather quickly.

14. Don't refuse pulling forward; it will get you nowhere and, sometimes, we will purposely take longer to give you the food.

If you refuse to pull forward, you are making everyone else's life harder. I understand, pulling forward is a pain, but we are trying to make this as quick as possible. Would you rather pull forward and have fresh food, or get cold food?

15. Just because I have headset on doesn't mean I took your order.

There's normally two or three people with the headset on, so anyone of us can take your order. Just remember it's not always the person at the first window that took your order.

16. You will not curse me out, or threaten me at my job.

I don't come to your job screaming and hollering when you mess up at your job, so don't do it at mine. I make mistakes at my job, just as much as you make mistakes at yours.

17. Do not come screaming at me because your order is wrong.

If you talk to me in a normal tone, I will gladly fix the order for you. But if you come in making a scene there will be a lot more issues than just your food being wrong.

18. The prices are made my corporation, not us.

When prices increase you can call the 1-800 number, because screaming at me won't do anything. I just work there, I don't make the prices. Don't shoot the messenger type thing.

19. Don't ask for a manager because they will say the same thing I just did.

When I tell you something that's the final answer. There is no reason to call a manager over to hear the exact same thing. I have been with the company for 4 years, I'm pretty sure I know enough about the company to tell you the right answer.

20. I understand we are taking long, but you don't understand we had five call-ins.

I understand that you are frustrated because we are "taking too long," but when we have five call-ins, and you see us running around, we are obviously doing the best we can. Unless I am standing around not doing anything, don't start your attitude.

21. If you see me doing something, wait patiently until I get to you.

If you see me running around doing three other jobs, please wait a few more seconds until I can get to you. I promise I see you, and I promise i'll be there shortly, but I have to finish what I am currently doing.

22. If we say we are out of stock, don't complain about it -- just move on.

Sometimes we sell more product than normal so we run out of items, and if we do, either order something else or don't order anything at all. Complaining about us not having it will not do anything for you.

23. It's not my fault your card doesn't approve.

All I do is run the card through the machine. If your card does not approve, I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do about it. You need to give me another card or cash, not argue with me.

24. I'm a human, treat me as such.

Just because I work at McDonald's does not mean you can treat me like a pet. I am a human being, with feelings, and a life outside of work. I do not have to work for this company, I do not have to allow you to treat me poorly, and I certainly do not have to to serve you once you threaten me. I do not come to your job and treat you poorly, so don't come to mine and do it.

Everyone that works for the company has a different story on why they work there. I work there because I enjoy my coworkers, but it also has a flexible schedule I need. Just like you, I am trying to make ends meet and trying to better my life Just remember when you are walking into a McDonald's, you have no clue what the person that working there has gone thorough that day, or anything else. You want to be treated with kindness, then be kind to us.

From all the McDonald's employees.

P.S.: the customer is not always right.