16 Things Every Market Basket Employee Says Daily

Will That Be Debit Or Credit?

684

I’ve worked at Market Basket for about a year and a half now, and let me tell you, it is a spectacular job, especially for a young adult. While many people complain about it (I hear it all the time), it really is a great part-time job with flexible hours, good pay, and work that really isn’t that difficult. But of course, with every job, and everything in life, things don’t always go smoothly. There is a certain routine that you become accustomed to, almost to the point where you feel like a broken record. Many of the words and phrases become automatic, and so do your movements. Here are a few lines from the script of a Market Basket employee.

1. “Hi, how are you today?”

In whatever job you may have one day, it is always important to greet people in a way that makes them feel as though you genuinely care how they are doing that day. Make eye contact, smile, and be sincere. Having a cashier do these three things can brighten their whole day, and as an employee it is a rewarding feeling to know that you caused someone else to smile.

2. “Would you like bags or a box?”

At Market Basket we are trying to steer away from plastic by offering boxes and more durable bags for ten cents apiece. They are better alternatives than the plastic, and even though many people haven’t made the switch yet, lots of people are trying them out. Or, you just have people that stare at you in amazement and say “You have boxes here?”

3. *Customer* “Oh wait I have a coupon!”

Many customers will remember at the very last possible second that they have coupons for an item they bought, and when it is in date, for the correct product, and the for the right number of products sold, it is a great way to save thirty-five cents or a dollar. But when the coupon doesn’t go through, is expired, or not enough items have been sold, the customer doesn’t take to it all too kindly. Coupons are specific, and when the guidelines aren’t followed properly, there isn’t really anything we, as cashiers, can do about it.

4. “Yes, paper and plastic is fine.”

Instead of an either plastic or paper, some people will throw the combination of “paper and plastic” at you. It can be difficult to open up the paper bag inside the plastic, but once you get the hang of it it’s not that big a deal. It’s just a bit more time consuming than the usual paper bag.

5. “No, I’m sorry we don’t have any paper today.”

The people who ask for paper are the regulars asking for paper, and when the store is out, I just feel bad. It’s kind of an awkward situation, and they have to settle for plastic.

6. “Sure, I can double bag everything.”

Even though we are trying to get rid of the plastic, there are always people that will ask for everything to be double-bagged in plastic. This heads in the opposite direction of getting rid of those pesky bags, but when they are walking home, I can see their point.

7. “Would you like the meat in plastic?”

It’s always good to either ask the customer if they want the meat in plastic, or just assume they do and put it separate. Raw meat and other groceries don’t really mix, especially if the meat is dripping some juice. And, when the meat is dripping, it can be frustrating because not only do you have it all over your hands and conveyor belt, but you have to clean it up quickly to be ready for the next customer.

8. “Yes, I can put the milk in a bag.”

Despite the fact that there is a handle right there, on the milk, some people still ask for the milk to be put into plastic. While I think that it’s a bit pointless, it’s not the time for me to share my opinion on the matter.

9. “I’m sorry I can’t take that off, I need a manager,” *puts on flashing light.*

When ringing through a customer’s items, there will be a time when you get someone who will ask you the price of a certain product. In your head, you are crossing your fingers that the price is low enough for them to want to buy it, because if it isn’t, there is nothing you can do about it. It can be 50/50 on whether or not they will buy it, and when it’s one of the times they don’t want it, you roll your eyes just a bit (in your head of course), and turn on the flashing light to call over the manager. In addition, if you accidentally ring something twice, you just get mad at yourself for having to ask for a void.

10. “Will that be debit or credit?”

At checkout, there are many different cards that you can pay with, and you see people trying to shove them into the “chip” slot reader (that we don’t have), and, like a broken record, you ask the question, “Will that be debit and credit?”

11. (For debit) “Please press yes and then slide your card. Please press yes, and then slide your card. I’m sorry, can you please slide your card again?”

If you are paying for your order with a debit card, then the power is in their hands. They press yes, slide their card, and enter their pin. Easy enough right? The amount of times that people have swiped their cards, put them back into the wallet, and into the purse or pocket before pressing yes is endless, and it is important to maintain some patience with each and every customer that does this.

12. (For credit card that is signed) “I’ll take your card over here please,” *holds onto card containing signature* “and please sign.”

.

When people pay with a credit card, they need to hand it over to the cashier. When the card is signed, I wait for them to sign the pin pad, make sure the signatures match, and then they get their card back.

13. (For credit card that is not signed) “I’ll take your card over here please. May I see an ID? Thank you.”

If the card isn’t signed, it is my job to ask the customer for some form of identification. That way, I am ensuring that they are the owner of the card, and that there is no identity theft going on.

14. “No, I’m sorry I don’t have change for that.”

Lots of people will ask for money back, or when they receive their change try and ask for specific bills, but unfortunately, I don’t always have the exact change they need. And I can’t give them over $2 in quarters, no matter how many times they ask.

15. “Yes I’m sure it’s real I just have to check all of the money.”

Working at Market Basket it is a requirement that every cashier check the money to ensure that it is all real, and when it comes to checking the fifty and hundred dollar bills, I hold them up to the light to make sure that they are real. I do not want to be held responsible for any fake money, and I try to be clear that I check everybody’s money, no matter who they are, or what they look like. Many customers will get annoyed with me for checking, saying things like “it’s real,” or “it’s not fake” with an attitude, and it is up to you to just keep smiling and let them know it’s protocol.

16. “Thank you and have a great day!”

Lastly, always hand back the change or card, with the receipt, a smile on your face, tell your customer to have a great day. Say it sincerely, and watch the smile on their face as they walk away and say “you too.” And even if there is a customer that doesn’t acknowledge you or say much, keep up a positive attitude and smile for the next customer.