Things You Learn When You Have An Apartment

The first step in being a semi-responsible adult

12
www.hgtv.com

Living in an apartment for the first time is definitely an experience. There are lots of things you will love, and some things that you won't. I've been living in an apartment for about a year now, and there are a few things I learned from the whole adventure.

First, it's going to feel weird when you're there alone. When at home or living in a dorm, you're most likely surrounded by people most of the time. If you're in an apartment, you may spend some time by yourself, even if you do have roommates. Everyone has different schedules, and you may find yourself sitting in the large space by yourself. Don't get me wrong, having some space to yourself is super nice. If you are there for too long, though, you may get really bored or feel the space kind of eating you up. When there's that much empty space and then you're just chilling there, it can feel a little weird.

Also, you will have cooking experiments. Now I am not a cook my any means. But, when you have your own apartment with all the utensils and kitchen space, you want to try out your cooking abilities. Some will absolutely be disasters, but then, sometimes you'll make something that's actually edible. There's a chance you will look through all your Facebook food videos, BuzzFeed food tutorials, and Pinterest ideas to make something really fancy. Don't get your hopes too high even though it's a lot of fun to try these things out. However, it usually comes out a lot different than expected.

Something you have to always keep in mind, is staying stocked up on supplies and food. I find myself going to the store about two times a week picking up a variety of things. Not to mention all the Wawa runs at 12am to get junk food and smoothies. You are constantly running out of things. You think you're all stocked up on everything, then you turn around and realize you need to go shopping. This is just part of having your own place.

If you're in an apartment complex, like me, you have to always be worrying about being too loud. Sometimes I'll be singing absent-mindedly in my apartment, when I remember that my apartment is extremely resonant, and there's probably someone next door who is really pissed off. Then again, everyone has their times when they are loud, so as long as you're not blowing a horn at 1am, chances are everything will be OK.

Having your own apartment is amazing. You have so much freedom, and you're actually adulting! You have tons of space to cook, do your work, and hang out with friends. It's the ultimate step in growing up and being a semi-responsible human being.