Things I Wish I Knew Before Going To A Top 20 University

It's all fun and games until you have five essays due in a week and a midterm on the way.

10
Unsplash

Florida State University has given me so many opportunities and chances to grow as an individual. The campus is beautiful, the people are friendly and outgoing, and it's status as a top 20 public university looks prettyyy good if you ask me. (US News and World Report) I worked hard to get to FSU and I had no doubt that I would succeed as a pre-law student when I took my first steps on Landis Green.

As fulfilling and exciting as my experience at FSU has been so far, there are definitely things I wish I would have known before jumping into college life and all the things that come with it.

For one, attending a school with a lower acceptance rate means... most people around you are going to be just as competitive and overachieving as you are. In contrast, high school made it pretty easy for smart kids to really shine. At a higher ranked university, more effort and perseverance is required to really stand out. This means, doing more than just studying alone for hours before a big test. Getting feedback from your class TA's and attending student-run study groups is just as important.

At a bigger, higher ranked school, there are many resources students can take advantage of to help them academically, socially, and mentally. The key is knowing who to ask for these resources and how to acquire them. At a school like FSU, for example, the university has around 500 registered student organizations that students can join to find their family away from home. Sometimes, it may be difficult to know what's even available to you. That's why communicating with your RA's, professors, or advisors is crucial to having a full college experience.

You don't know what's available to you until you simply ask!

It can also be fairly easy to become distracted by your social life. Although it's incredibly important to make a diverse group of friends your first year in college, its equally as important to balance your time- even if it means physically writing down "social hour" in your planner.

Last, but certainly not least, it's okay to feel a little lost! Attending a university that shines through its academics means you may feel overwhelmed at times. I urge you to take it each day at a time and try to have fun while you're at it.