8 Things I Learned After Moving Away To College

8 Things I Learned After Moving Away to College

The experience you get when you move away for college is incredible, but learning the ropes of adult life is one heck of a rollercoaster.

286

Moving away from your hometown for college is basically a pre-run on adulting. Things are just thrown at you and the majority of the time, you have absolutely no idea how to handle them. Here are just a few things I learned in my first semester being four hours away from my hometown.

1. You Realize How Expensive Things Actually Are

What do you mean a Boot Daddy at Andy's is five dollars? Why are gas prices changing so much? Have vending machines always been this expensive? If you don't check your bank account for two days, it's like the money once in there grew legs and walked away. (Sorry, Dad.)

2. Being Alone Is Not All That Bad

In your hometown being alone is weird. But, being in college and being alone can sometimes be the greatest thing, especially when you share a small box for a room with another person. Eating alone in the dining hall is sometimes relaxing, walking to class alone is a good time to think, and lying in bed and watching Netflix alone is a good stress reliever.

3. You Don't Have To Go Out All The Time

It is scary to move to a new place and try to make new friends. Partying and going out is an easy way to meet people, but not the only way. Meet everyone down your hall, make friends with people in class make friends with your friends' other friends. There are so many ways to make friends on a college campus, not just going out every weekend.

4. You Learn Who Matters The Most To You

Although sending a text or making a phone call isn't all that hard, you lose time being so busy in college. You get caught up in the mix of classes, homework, other clubs and organizations, you lose time easily. Within the first few weeks, you will start to figure out which people from back home try to connect with you and which ones you try to connect with. Those are the people that matter the most in your life if you haven't realized it before.

5. Being Independent Isn't Always Easy

No one is there to make you go to class, tell you to do homework, do your laundry, study for that exam. Everything is all on you. Going from high school to college is a whole new ball game that most people aren't ready for. It is hard to force yourself to do things when no one else is there to tell you what to do. My advice: find someone who can be accountable for you, and you be accountable for them.

6. College Isn't Always Exciting

There comes a time when tailgate season ends, syllabus week is over, the sun sets earlier, and the mornings are harder to deal with as time goes on. College is shown to be so fun and exciting all over the media, but that isn't always exactly true. College is about getting a degree and education, not always being fun and games. That being said, separate your work from play.

7. The Bond You Form With Friends In College Is Different

Who knew the girls down the hall would become your best friends in a matter of weeks? Being away from home causes you to step out and get comfortable with people quicker than you would think. When you basically live with your best friends, your bond is unbreakable.

8. It Was The Best Decision You Ever Made

It isn't easy moving hours away from home when you are 18 years old, but it is worth it. The opportunities you are open to, the adventures you go on, and the experiences you have are priceless.