10 Things JSU Freshman Should Do Before The End Of The Year

Seriously. Get a coffee at Java Jolt.

243
two girls
Personal Photo

Since I grew up in Jacksonville, AL I have seen the following ten items several times, and I highly recommend it to any other freshman before the end of their first year!

1. Get coffee at Java Jolt.

Java Jolt is a small cafe on the square that serves everything you need to help keep you focused on upcoming exams! They have wonderful salads, sandwiches, and some breakfast menu items to pair with your choice of coffee or tea.

2. Join a campus organization.

Our current SAA volunteers to host homecoming this past weekend.

A great group to join with some friends is the Student Alumni Association, it is a group full of dedicated, hardworking, and passionate students who seek to learn more about what life will be like when they become Alumni!

3. Get a picture with 'Cocky'.

I would suggest all students try and catch up with Cocky at any JSU sporting event, meeting this particular mascot will give you that "once a gamecock, always a gamecock" spirit!

4. Go to Taco Tuesday at Loco Mex.

What's better than $1 tacos? $1 tacos on your birthday.

This is a common resource throughout college kids in Jacksonville. One dollar tacos are the best thing that can come out of a Tuesday afternoon filled with classes.

5. Visit Chimney Peak at sunset.

Chimney Peak (also known as Jacksonville Mountain) is a common place to get the perfect view of the friendliest campus in the south!

6. Walk/Ride a bike on The Ladiga Trail.

During the fall is the best time of the year to try and get out on the trail, it is highly recommended by most locals to visit. This is by far the best way to get out in nature in Jacksonville.

7. Watch The Marching Southerners perform.

The Southerners are one of the most popular marching bands in the south, their performances move many people to tears and gives everyone that classic Gamecock feeling.

8. Take time to appreciate the square.

It may not look like much, but The Square has a huge history behind it and is an important part of our wonderful college town. Make sure to walk around and take a look in different stores such as Mad Hatter Cupcake Shop, Java Jolt, Gamecock Outfitters, and plenty of the others!

9. Go to your first JSU game as a student.

This is something everyone should do in order to get some gamecock spirit, sitting in the student section is a great experience and I recommend it to all freshman!

10. Meet your new best friends.

My two friends Victoria (left) and Rachel (middle) with me at freshman convocation.

Since I am slightly introverted I assumed I would have a hard time making friends in college, however, once I joined SAA I made two of my best friends along with many other great people! Joining an organization or getting involved on campus can help you easily make lifelong friends.