12 Things Only English Majors Will Understand, As Told By An Exhausted English Major

"So, like, you know grammar and stuff?"

174

As English majors, it's common to get a lot of heat. It may not be as hard as rocket science or organic chemistry, but the truth is it's not easy keeping up with a plethora of readings and dozens of essays all in one semester.

There is a certain spark that English majors have and this passion seeps into about every aspect of our lives. Sometime during our long undergraduate journey, we can't help but notice we have met every English major stereotype in the book.

With that being said, here are 12 things only English majors will understand.

You always notice grammar mistakes. 

Reading through text messages, casual emails, and even group project drafts is a nightmare because of how many mistakes you notice.

You probably won't read all of the books in your syllabus. 

Yes, the books your professor assigns are probably great books. Sooner than you realize the semester becomes jam-packed with assignments and you simply can't get to all of them — or you choose your personal reading over the assigned books. Both valid reasons.

An excessive use of "like" drives you crazy. 

Listening to presentations or just talking with friends unveils the excessive use of "like" and it's borderline unbearable at times.

You can pull off an A+ paper in only a few hours. 

You've mastered the midterm paper and can whip out a beautifully crafted essay in a few short hours. Your non-English major friends are probably watching you in awe as you type. It's truly a skill.

You quote John Mulaney's "English major" bit on a weekly basis. 

You know, the bit from "Kid Gorgeous at Radio City" where he talks about being $120,000 in debt for getting a degree in a language he already spoke? Yeah, that one.

Your Amazon Wishlist is just a bunch of books. 

It's dozens of books: cult classics, contemporary favorites, random bookstore finds — the list goes on.

Your math skills are mediocre at best. 

Calculating a tip at a restaurant or a sale discount in the middle of a store is the bane of your existence. It's not that you can't do math, but there's a reason you chose to be an English major.

You always have a red pen ready. 

English majors always have a red pen on hand. It sounds nerdy, but you never know when the perfect editing opportunity will present itself.

You've received an English major-themed gift. 

Your sister probably bought you enamel pins in the shape of books, your mom might've mailed a Shakespeare-themed coffee mug in your care package, or your roommate bought you a laptop sticker that says "*you're." Even though you already have so many English major-themed items, you still want more.

You have strong opinions about bending the spines of books. 

Aside from the Oxford comma, bending or not bending the spines of books might be one of the biggest debates among readers.

You also have strong opinions about writing in books. 

To write or not to write? That is the question.

You've edited a friend's essay just for fun. 

You can't help it! They have a need, and you have the skill.