It's OK If Things Don't Always Go The Way They're Planned
Friendships

Because sometimes they end up even better.

37
https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-writing-on-white-book-1043514/

I'm a huge planner. Whether it's something little like what I'm going to do this weekend, or something bigger like what job I want to have, I always plan everything out. Therefore, when things don't always go the way I planned them, it's incredibly frustrating for me.

For the longest time I knew I wanted to go to a certain college. And when I didn't get accepted for the time I wanted, I was extremely upset and conflicted. I had planned everything out. I KNEW I was going to go there and when I didn't get accepted for the fall semester like I had planned, I didn't know what to do. It was a hard decision and I ultimately decided not to go there. Instead, I chose a different school that my friends were going to and that I had also considered as my back up plan. I tried to go into my freshman year open minded, but it was extremely difficult when I knew deep down it wasn't what I had wanted.

Throughout my freshman year, I faced conflicting emotions. Should I try to make friends? Should I join organizations? It was hard, because I knew I didn't want to permanently stay there, but I didn't want to be miserable while I was there either. It wasn't that I hated where I was, it was that it just wasn't what I had wanted or had planned for.

I decided I would try to have fun while I was there and make the most of my time. I hung out with people and tried to make new friends, got involved with a few organizations, and explored the surrounding area. Eventually, I even got a job opportunity. By going to this school, I gained many experiences, friends, and opportunities I would otherwise not been able to have. If I had decided not to attend this school, I would not know some of the people I know now or be able to do a lot of the things I did.

Therefore, I learned that it's okay if things don't always go they way they're planned. It's been hard for me to understand this, but I know now for a fact that everything happens for a reason. So, don't get upset if things don't go how you expected them to. Stay open minded, because maybe, things will turn out even better.