Things you can do to reduce stress of moving to college

6 Things To Make Sure You Do Before Moving To College

Moving away is super stressful, but there are some things you can do to reduce some of that stress.

221
moving boxes

August is rapidly approaching, which means that school will soon be starting up. And with it, thousands of college students will be leaving home, many for the first time in their lives. Moving out and living on your own is absolutely terrifying, even if it is just to the college dorm.

Do I have everything I need? Am I going to get along with my roommate? What if something bad happens? What if I get sick or hurt? How will someone know I'm okay?"

These are all thoughts that go through everyone's mind when they move. And you know what? It's perfectly okay to be feeling anxious and asking yourself these questions, plus some.

Any time you move, you're stepping out of your comfort zone. You're leaving a familiar, secure place for a brand new environment. It's super stressful and nerve racking, but there are some things you can do before you leave to ease the stress of moving away for college. Here are just six of them.

1. Gather important documents and put them in a lockbox

This includes your birth certificate, health insurance card, social security card, and banking information so that they’re easily accessible if you need them. And if you put them in a lockbox, then you know that they’re secure. You can also stash extra cash in a lockbox (in case of an emergency and you’re less likely to spend it if it’s locked away). Just make sure you store your lockbox in a safe place and keep the key where only you have access to it.

2. Compile a first aid kit

People often don’t think about this until they need it. You can buy one already put together or you can make your own. Make sure you at least have bandaids (duh), antibacterial ointment (like Neosporin), disposable cold packs, pain relief (like Advil), any other OTC medicines you may need (cold medicine, cough drops, etc.), a thermometer, and Benadryl. Also make sure you have a flashlight on hand in case of a power outage.

3. Stock up on toiletries

Things like mouthwash and toothpaste and toilet paper are super expensive on campus. Just stock up on that kind of stuff as much as you can. One box of TidePods from Sam’s will last you a semester, even if you do laundry every week. And one big bottle of shampoo and conditioner from a hair salon will last you more than a whole year.

4. Make sure you have your emergency contacts set up in your phone

Your cell phone should have a feature that allows you to set up emergency contacts. Make sure you have these filled out. Also, if you’re living on campus, residence life should have had you fill out a form that told them who to call in case of an emergency. Also download your campus’s safety app (if they have one).

5. Pack snacks and drinks

It’s always good to have snacks and drinks handy. After all, the dining hall probably isn’t open 24/7 and you never know when you’re going to be hungry or thirsty. Microwaveable popcorn is always a good choice since it keeps for a long time (just please make sure you know how to use the microwave before you decide to make it at one o’clock in the morning). In general, if you can keep it for a long time, then it’s probably a good idea. Just make sure you store it properly to keep bugs and rodents out of it (because, ew!).

6. Buy some cleaning supplies

This is a must if you and your roommate have your own bathroom. You’ll be surprised how quickly a sink can get gross, especially if you’re using it for everything. In general, disinfectant wipes, toilet bowl cleaner, a vacuum, and air fresher are all good things to have on hand.

This is not all you should do in preparation for moving, but these six things can help reduce the stress of moving away from home by making you more prepared for an emergency. You can't prepare for everything, but the more prepared you are, the less anxiety you'll feel when you move into your new space.