10 Things A Country Boy Hears When He Goes Off To College

Camouflage is cool, too.

536
Lafayette Theater

College is a wonderful place where all kinds of great minds and creative thinkers come together to learn and grow. As one could imagine, there are many different types of people that come from a diverse set of backgrounds. While everyone encounters various challenges during their time at college, the biggest one to overcome is stigmas about the person you really are. I have had to fight the ideas commonly associated with a country boy from a small town. The following is a list of the types of things I have been told throughout my entire college career.

1. "What are you doing in college? Shouldn’t you be out plowing fields or riding horses?"

This is a big one, and I have heard it about a thousand times throughout the years. Do I know how to plow a field or ride a horse? Yes. But let’s be honest, that is some tough work to do for the rest of my life, and I feel that my talents could be better used somewhere else in society. Plus, you’ll probably need my help when it comes to doing biology homework.

2. "You know, I can see you even when you wear camouflage."

Yes, of course I know you can see me. But odds are if you are from a small town in the middle of nowhere, a lot of your wardrobe is camouflage. Why on earth wouldn’t I wear the things I am comfortable in? I love my Cabela’s hat with the stains and rips in it, I never leave home without it. So my question for people who ask me this is: Do you know that your salmon colored shorts really don’t match your lime green shirt?

3. "Oh, so you go out in the woods and kill animals for fun? That’s just wrong."

This is my favorite thing that people have told me. Not because they are completely wrong, but that they truly do not understand what hunting is all about. It is all about finding yourself in nature and thanking God for the opportunity to put some food on the table. Plus, it is a necessary part of ensuring a healthy population of animals.

4. "Your truck is killing the environment! You really shouldn’t drive it."

First of all, not all country boys drive big trucks. I don’t for the simple fact I couldn’t afford to put gas in it. Secondly, you’ll need that environment killing truck when you are trying to move out of your dorm at the end of the year, so be nice to the guy in the truck. Also, it’s not like your car doesn’t give off emissions, too. Plus it is really hard to go mudding in a Prius.

5. "I can’t believe you think guns aren’t bad! They kill people."

Well, I can say that none of my guns have ever killed anyone. They are a necessary tool that I use when I want to go hunting. It would be very difficult to kill a deer with a pocket knife. When the zombies start coming, you'll be glad I have one, so who's the real winner here?

6. "Fish are gross. Why would you touch them?!"

OK, yes some fish are really gross. I have seen some nasty looking carp in my day but some fish are really cool looking! Others have also asked how I sit out on the lake all day long and not catch anything. You see, for me fishing is about the experiences I get while fishing. My grandpa used to have this saying that I have written on the inside of my tackle box: “If fishing was about catching fish they’d call it catching.”

7. "Do you always wear those boots everywhere you go? Don’t they just hurt your feet?"

Oh, the question about boots. I always get this one, especially from freshmen, I have no idea why, but they seem so curious about my Justin work boots. Look, you never know when your car is going to break down, and I know that you wouldn’t want your Jordans covered in mud. Plus, they really are comfortable and there’s no laces to tie up in the morning!

8. "Did you take your sister to Prom?"

When people ask me this, I just ignore them. Seriously country folk are classy people! Give us some credit here. And if someone really wants to know, I did not take my sister. It was my cousin. Joking!

9. "Uhm, what is that can in your back pocket? Is that like gum or something?"

Ha gum. That's hilarious. Nope not gum, try again. It’s called chewing tobacco, and no kids do not try it at home. I am not condoning it, but whenever I tell someone what it is, they get this disgusted look on their faces. Well, what I do with my body is none of your business I say. Plus, normally right after I tell them, they light up a cigarette so I don’t think they have any room to talk.

10. "So because you’re country and all, does that mean you can fix my car?"

I’m not a magic car genie or something, so maybe it just depends. But I can’t guarantee I could get your Honda to run when it is making noises that sound like my stomach after eating Taco Bell. Plus, we aren’t all mechanics here. I mean I did replace my radiator in a parking lot with a saw and a hammer, but let me tell you that was not pretty. You’re much better off taking it to a mechanic. But, if you really wanted to try your luck, I’ll do just about anything for a case of Budweiser.

What I learned: People will always judge you.

So after years of hearing all of these things and many more, I have determined that people will judge anyone based on what they think you are like. But, in reality we are all humans just trying to make our way in the world. Isn’t college about figuring out who we really are? So regardless if you are country, city, goth, hipster or whatever, never judge a book by its cover because you never truly know what is inside. Plus, you may find out that some of the most fun you’ll ever have is experiencing something new in the world of someone else. So be prepared for some of the strangest things you’ll ever hear!