They're Gay, So What?

They're Gay, So What?

People don't want to let Elsa have a girlfriend and it breaks my heart.

28
They're Gay, So What?

Recently people have been making an argument that popular characters should not be made LGBT in sequels because it will take away all other aspects of their character. Movements like #giveElsaagirlfriend and #giveCaptainAmericaaboyfriend have gone through huge trending cycles with people rallying to the idea that these two iconic characters shouldn’t have to be heterosexual. Other people claim that once their sexuality is established as something other than straight they will no longer be these strong figures but merely token gay characters. I understand people’s concerns but lets all take a deep breath and admit that Captain America loves Bucky Barnes with all his heart and they belong together.

So, the fear that having a gay character in a popular movie/TV show be used as comic relief is a legitimate fear. It’s literally the majority of what homosexuals are represented as in the media. They’re flamboyant, absurd, and hilarious right? Do you realize how annoying that is in real life? I try and tell someone off and they think I’m being a funny gay. No I actually hate you. ANYWAYS, this is a reasonable reason for the LGBTQ community to be concerned about big names like Disney and Marvel bringing gay characters to the big screen. However, with characters like Elsa and Captain America, they’ve already been established as having so much more to their personalities than their sexual orientation. In fact I found it more offensive that they threw in the heteronormative trash that was Cap’s relationship in Civil War. I mean really? Who gets with their ex’s niece? That’s just messed up. My point being, these characters are already noble and well established as more than comic relief, why not let them be gay?

What would actually be really great about having these characters, whose personalities and qualities have already been established, be gay is that it breaks the cycle of gay characters merely being comic relief. They already have so much to their character that people love and adore. To have these kind of characters represent the LGBTQ community would be astronomically important in moving toward a more positive media portrayal. Gay people can be more than the funny queens and angry butches.

Many big name corporations have started to include LGBTQ characters into their shows, movies, and books. Marvel has many LGBTQ characters that have yet to make it into the Cinematic Universe. Cartoon Network’s show Steven Universe is an ASTOUNDING hit and provides a creative yet heartfelt and tearjerking look into LGBTQ characters. Seriously if you haven’t seen this show SEE THIS SHOW. It is so profound. Even Disney Channel has introduced gay characters. Bringing more and more of this kind of positive representation into the media is so incredibly crucial to how society views the LGBTQ community.

So, I hear your concerns. People haven't treated gay characters very well with how they have been portrayed in the past. But we need to start somewhere if we are ever going to get out of this rut. So can we just give Elsa a girlfriend already?