There's Nothing Like Listening to Music Live

It's not just blasting it through your earphones anymore. It's much more than that.

214
Campus Event Commission

There’s a certain feeling you get before, during, and after a concert. You make some of your best memories at concerts. Music sounds completely different live and so much louder compared to earphones. You save your money all year for these concerts and can’t wait to see your money positively pay off. There’s a lot to think about going into a concert, like your outfit, rides, and making sure you free up some space so you can get a bunch of pictures to remember the concert by.

Imagine: You are getting ready for the concert of the summer. It will be an outdoor concert, for one of your favorite bands/artists and you can’t wait to go and listen with your friends. On the way to the concert, you blast some of their hit songs to get you in the mood. You start getting butterflies because you are so eager to get in there and start listening. When you get there, you wait in line and the anticipation is slowly killing you as you can’t wait to get in there and hear their first song. The security guard scans your ticket and you walk up the stairs, leading to the lawn where you find a spot with friends and get ready for the concert to begin. After the opener finishes their last song, they say thank you and ask if you’re ready to hear the people/person you came to really see. You scream yes and the lights dim on stage, then the neon lights come on and there’s a bit of background music. You get more and more excited. Finally, the band steps out, and the whole crowd screams and starts singing along as they start singing their opener. You can’t think about anything else while you’re there, just the fact that this is a moment you will never forget and you wouldn’t want to be anywhere else right now. Right now in this moment, you’re creating a memory that you’ll hold onto forever. The thrill, the people, the music, the artist making you feel like you have a special connection when he says “How are we tonight New Jersey”, and everything just falls into place. You can’t explain the feeling. There’s no feeling like it. Nothing matters except finally hearing your favorite song that you only could play through earphones before now loud and live, knowing every word and speaking to you directly. You can feel the music vibrate through your skin, and you love that feeling there’s nothing like it. With all the people in the crowd, you feel like you just made a million new friends, and even though they are strangers, you feel connected to each and every one of them. That’s something live music does to you. It makes you feel a certain type of way as you’re singing and dancing, sweating and screaming, waving your hands and smiling, and just loving every second. I always get this feeling at some point in the concert where I realize I am in the same room as my favorite singer and it shocks me and excites me all the same. It’s such an awesome feeling that someone you always listen to through your earphones is now right in front of you in the same vicinity. It's hard to believe it.

Music is a way to express yourself, but also to reach out to other people through the lyrics and each phrase touching someone different in the crowd in a different way. Music is special, you feel like you have a personal connection with the band, that you actually know the singer personally. Going to concerts is one of the best memories and that natural high feeling you get surrounds you before, during, and long after the concert ends.

After, you can’t help but want to go back, reminiscing on every song they sang and replaying it in your head as you blast their music once more with the aux and recount the countless little memories from the concert. No matter how old you are and who you are, music touches everyone and concerts are experiences everyone should experience. Music brings people together over the performers they are passionate about. That feeling you get after a good concert is true bliss. You never want the feeling to go away as you listen the whole ride home, and the concert changes you, making you appreciate the moments a little bit more than you did before this incredible experience. It’s a feeling that takes over and gives you chills all over your body, and you smile the whole ride home thinking about you jumping and belting out the lyrics. You can’t think of a favorite part because the whole night is, and that’s what makes concerts so incredible.