There Are Three Sides To A Story

There Are Three Sides To A Story

Most of us forget about the truth.

2668
There Are Three Sides To A Story
Jessica Fuqua

Growing up, my daddy always told me that there are three sides to every story: his side, her side and the truth. Constantly in the back of my mind, that phrase is something I've tried to live by.

We should all live by this simple motto. Over the years, not only have I witnessed what happened to other's who have been the victim of one-sided stories, but I have been the "bad guy" myself. If we stepped back and tried to observe both sides of a situation, instead of just blindly believing one side, we could perhaps lessen the hurt or false accusations brought on the offending side.

People can easily fool you — even the devil was once an angel. It takes the gift of discernment to be able to see through somebody's facade.

I am the kind of person that trusts everybody — I genuinely believe most folks are good and would never do anything to hurt me. Ask my family or friends and they'll tell you that this is incredibly true. Frequently, I have been warned and chided for my unfaltering certainty in the well-meaning of others. However, I still dive into situations with an open mind and loving heart, trusting that I will not be mislead. I guess you could call it my hamartia.

All too recently, I have seen and been involved in a situation where there was only one story being told — and it wasn't my story. My side was not heard and the other side was profusely lying. Honestly, it bothered me beyond words. How could someone take everything and twist it into a story that fit their side? What justice could be done?

In light of recent events, I have resolved to add two more notes to my mental list of "how to" live: continuously remind myself of the motto my daddy taught me and if people spread false information, just remember that God and I know the truth. Yes, I'll be honest about what happens, but I won't bring myself into petty drama and arguments in regards to the lies. I will hold my head up with grace in my heart, knowing that this is how I should be living.

"What is done in the dark shall be brought to the light." Eventually, the truth will be known to all sides. Instead of spending my time making sure that the lies that are brought against me are proved wrong, I won't worry. Worrying about minuscule minds is a waste of my time — and yours.

I ask you to step back and take a look at the bigger picture. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt. Be wise about who you're trusting. I'm giving this advice not only to you, but to myself. Let us be like Proverbs 4:23.