Then And Now: The Cast Of 'Friends'

Then And Now: The Cast Of 'Friends'

53
Then And Now: The Cast Of 'Friends'
Hollywood Reporter

"Friends" first aired on Sept. 22, 1994, meaning it recently celebrated its 21st birthday. The comedy was a huge success that initially gave its six main actors, Jennifer Aniston, Courtney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, David Schwimmer and Matthew Perry, their rise to stardom. In honor of this "Friends-iversary," we're looking at the cast and what they've been up to since the very last episode aired in 2004.

1. Jennifer Aniston

Then:

Jennifer Aniston played Rachel Green, a troubled, rich snob who moved in with childhood friend Monica (Courtney Cox) after leaving her ex at the alter and getting financially cut off by her father.

Throughout the series, Rachel grows to become independent by getting a job she's passionate about in the fashion industry. She constantly has on-and-off relations with Monica's brother, Ross, with whom she has a daughter in the last few seasons.

Now:

Jennifer Aniston has been up to a lot since the ending of the show. She recently got married to Justin Theroux in a very private, intimate wedding this summer. Two guests from the cast, Lisa Kudrow and Courtney Cox, were in attendance. In regards to her career, she has starred in several box office movies, shot commercials, and guest starred in her friends' TV series, including Courtney Cox's "Dirt"and "Cougar Town."

2. Courtney Cox

Then:

Courtney Cox played Monica Gellar, Rachel's roommate and Ross's younger sister. She is an obsessive cleaner and perfectionist, annoying and amusing her friends throughout the show with her crazy tendencies. She marries Chandler at the end of the series and adopts twins with him.

Now:

Courtney Cox has worked on several movies and TV shows since the ending of "Friends." She has acted alongside well-known actors, including Adam Sandler and Tim Allen, as well as produced and starred in two TV shows including "Dirt" and "Cougar Town."

3. Lisa Kudrow

Then:

Lisa Kudrow played Phoebe Buffay, a musician with a wacky personality. She's the quirky one from the group, always telling eccentric stories and tales about her late mother, even once believing that she came to her through a cat.

Now:

Lisa Kudrow has appeared in several TV shows and movies since the ending of "Friends." She stars in "Web Therapy," which has had guest stars from the cast of "Friends," including Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer.

4. David Schwimmer

Then:

David Schwimmer played Ross Gellar, older brother of Monica and on-and-off lover of Rachel. He is a paleontologist who loves his job and frequently bores his friend group with his excitement about fossils and evolution.

Now:

David Schwimmer has played the role of Melman in the film "Madagascar." He has guest starred in several TV series as well as worked on projects in Broadway and London's West End. He is currently working on "American Crime Story," playing Robert Kardashian, which highlights and dramatizes the O.J. Simpson trial.

5. Matthew Perry

Then:

Matthew Perry played Chandler Bing, the comedian of the group. He often uses humor to repress problems from his childhood, resulting in a very funny, sarcastic adulthood. He marries Monica and adopts two children with her at the end of the series.

Now:

Post "Friends," Matthew Perry admitted to his drug and alcohol addictions. He attended rehab and openly spoke about his struggles during the filming of the show. He offers support for those struggling after rehab. In regards to his acting career, he has starred in a few short-lived TV series, including "Go On," and is now filming for "The Odd Couple."

6.Matt LeBlanc

Then:

Matt LeBlanc played Joey Tribbiani, a struggling actor who lives across the hall from Rachel and Monica with roommate Chandler. He has trouble landing acting jobs due to his "not-too-bright" personality. However, he has a good heart and is a self-proclaimed ladies man, frequently using the phrase "How you doin?" to get girls.

Now:

After "Friends" ended, Matt LeBlanc played Joey in the spinoff series "Joey." Nowadays, he acts in the TV show "Episodes," playing a version of himself. This role earned him a Golden Globe in 2012.

"Friends" may have ended 11 years ago, but its wildly popular stars will never fade.