Where Are They Now: The Kooks

Where Are They Now: The Kooks

They've certainly changed.

2002
Where Are They Now: The Kooks
Nylon Magazine

Since 2006 The Kooks have been releasing chart-topping singles and albums. The idea of starting a band came to lead singer, Luke Pritchard, as he and two other members, Paul Garred and Hugh Harris were out shopping one day in 2002. Paul was the original drummer of the band, and Hugh was the lead guitar. According to this interview, while shopping one day they had an image idea of how they would want their band to appear to their audience, so decided to come together "just on a whim, really." "We had a vision on how we wanted the band to look and stuff - so we bought some clothes and these hats, it was fun." The boys had the same taste in music as they all shared a love for The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Police and David Bowie. The boys went on the search for their first gig and according to Garred, they were able to book their first show because the landlord like their hats. "So we went in to get a gig, we don't have a demo blid burnt, and this told us, 'Well, you can't get a gig if you don't have a demo, but I like your hats, so I'm going to give you a gig", said Garred. However, the band was unable to make the performance because they were still finishing up their demo.

The Sound:

It only took the boys three months to be picked up and signed by Virgin Records. The first album released, Inside In/Inside Out, was not only played on major radio stations in the UK but also in the states. The sound the boys had was indie rock, britpop, and alternative rock. "Songs like 'Eddie's Gun' and 'Sofa Song' were played everywhere; it was like a whirlwind romance - people wanted more, and they always seemed to have, well, more" Dani Tauber, writer for the Aquarian, shared with audiences while in an interview with The Kooks in 2012. One of the biggest tracks off the album was titled 'Naive' and by far the fan favorite. "You never quite know, (...) But it happens all the time; writing a song you think is just average, and it ends up being the biggest at gigs and the one the crowd goes nuts for - or writing something you think is great that isn't received- as well as you'd hoped. I thought 'Naive' was average when we recorded it, but I've to love it. It's one of our biggest songs, and we still love playing it."

With a huge hit already under their belts, the next album releases were already going out to a huge fan base. Following their first album release The Kooks released Konk in 2008, Junk of Heart in 2011, Listen in 2014, and Hello, What's Your Name in 2015. According to the Billboard Top 200 chart, Konk was rated 41 and remained on the list for eight weeks. The latest release from The Kooks is titled Hello, What's Your Name? and it was released on December 4, 2015. The band has normally not strayed away from their indie rock musical stylings but had changed their ways for this one. Reviews got it right on the head: "the British band give way to a plethora of big names in electronic remix to vamp up some innovative sounds in their arsenal and in doing so, the band may have just reached a point of musical incoherence." Many loyal fans have still stood by the band in this transition of an album but it is definitely something they have adjusted to.

Obstacles:

Although The Kooks have released numerous albums and made a name for themselves, they have also had a few bumps in the road. The biggest being the loss of members. The first member to go was the original bassist and back up vocalist, Max Rafferty. Next to go was Paul Garred. He was also an original member who took the role as the bands drummer. Due to a nerve problem in his arm, Garred was a part of the band from 2004 to 2009 as well as 2010 to 2012. Garrett was able to play studio sessions and recordings but when it came to playing live, Chris Prendergast was a step in substitute.

The current members are Luke Pritchard, who is the lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist and has been an original member since 2004. Hugh Harris, who is also an original member continues to be the lead guitarist, backing vocalist, pianist, and keyboardist. Since 2008 Peter Denton has been a backing vocalist, guitarist, and bassist and the most newest member is Alexis Nunez who joined the band in 2012. He is now the bands drummer and percussionist. The band is on a current tour that only has shows overseas in Brazil and Argentina. With no signs of another new album, The Kooks' most recent action besides current tour was their re-release of their debut album Inside In/Inside Out.

For news updates and tour dates:
http://www.thekooks.com/