Theatre is important

Top 10 Most Overrated Musicals

Do you agree?
2805

What makes something overrated? If you google "Overrated" it will spit out "have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved." This is 100% true, in the theatre world it means something that's so well liked and talked about nonstop that doesn't need to be talked about as much as it is. This was taken as a survey on the All Things Broadway Facebook page and when stated a musical was asked to give an answer. This is my personal list with a mix of my responses and theirs. To be clear just because it is overrated doesn't mean it is bad or that I dislike the musical. Now here we go with what I think are the Top 10 Most Overrated Musicals

10. A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder

The 2014 Tony Award Musical that lasted for 905 performances on Broadway. This musical made the list simply because it won the Tony award over what I believe was better, even thought this show was very original, Aladdin or Beautiful. The story of the whole thing was decent, the musical wasn't catchy, didn't walk out of the theatre singing the songs.

9. Grease

The 1972 Tony Award Nominee has been done multiple times whether it be on Broadway, Regional theatre, tours, High Schools, and even on TV. This show made the list not just for how often it is done because of how the story ends and the message it leaves behind. The story falls short, a rushed end as the character arcs fall short and the message that you should change for the person you love.

8. Lion King

The 1998 Tony Award winning musical has been open on Broadway for around 19 years, and has played 7,849 performances as of September 4th 2016. This show was been open since forever and it is okay, yet is very unique with the puppets but it is an okay show. But it still has a ton of hype of this musical and it has been open for 19 years, and still brings in the big bucks for Broadway.

7. Les Miserables

The 1987 Tony Award winning musical has been done numerous amounts of time just like Grease. Besides it being done reivial after revival it is a great piece of musical theatre but the hype that the show gets is what makes it keep coming back. The show it's self doesn't need any hype because it is truly great, rather give lesser shows some hype.

6. RENT

The ground breaking Tony Award winning musical was something else when it first came out. Yet it is very overrated, for instance have you seen there rush lines and lotto lines it was basically the Hamilton of 1996. It has not many catchy songs that people leave singing and it is about multiple story lines which for a not so smart audience member won't be able to focus and will end up being not an engaging piece.

5. Chicago

You defiantly had this Tony Award Winning revival of a musical on the list. As when asked people to say why they thought Chicago was overrated someone said "If you want to dance sexy and 'naked' go find a pole. It's time to bring that one back to period dress". Which is interesting because that's what makes Chicago what it is yet that is why it is the Longest Running Musical and it has been open since forever.

4. Wicked

This is one of those shows that was hard to put on the list because of all the conservatory this one had. But at the end of the day Wicked has a good story but it is not the spectacular musical everyone thought it was. It gets so much hype and it has been open since 2003.

3. Phantom of the Opera

This is one of those shows that is full of reprises for most of the show, same consent theme of music if that makes any sense. This show as been open since 1988 and is declared the longest running show on Broadway which gives it a ton of hype. Phantom is "old" but not really fresh with the music type and effects and the show in general. But to me it is one of my guilty pleasures to see.

2. Cats

Cats is very hard to write about because of family connection to the show but it is very overrated. It is people in leotards pretending to be cats and they sing and dance. There is not really a great story in the musical. It is a tourist show for fluffy entertainment.

1. HAMILTON

There is nothing to say to this. But it's Hamilton ..... but I am not paying almost 1,000 dollars to 10,000 dollars to see theater, sorry Lin!

Yours Truly,

David Heguy