The Year Of You

The Year Of You

Make this year a year about you because the time to make a change is now.

41
The Year Of You
melaniesawizard

Let me start by saying I don't really believe in resolutions. And here's why: every day is a new day that you could start something and change your life. I don't think you should have to wait until the new year to make a change or start a business or do something that you've always wanted to do. The time to make a change is now. Especially with how crazy the world is currently.

Ernest Hemingway said, "The world breaks everyone, and afterword, some are strong at the broken places." A very important reminder for all of us as we navigate the changing times. It's important to be the best version of yourself and do the things that make getting out of bed in the morning a little easier. Pick your purpose and let it consume you.

One of things I promised myself in 2017 is that I'm going to do more for me. I have to stop worrying about other people and start worrying about myself because I too, deserve to be happy. I have to stand up for what I believe in because fighting an oppressive system is where and when change happens. I have to cut out the negative in all aspects of the word; relationships, attitude, anything that puts a sour taste in my mouth. I need to love myself because this body is the only one I'm going to get and should be treated like a temple. I have to let go of what I cannot control and find happiness within myself.

It's really easy to talk ourselves out of things because "the timing's not right" or "if it's meant to be it will be," but that's just not true. There is no better time than the present and there is no better time then this very moment to make this year - and all the years to come - the year of you.

Push yourself outside of your comfort zone and do something crazy. Enjoy the bad days along with the good because at least you still have days right? Go to protests because you believe in fighting for the people. Sit at home on a Saturday night instead of going out because there is nothing better than sitting in your sweatpants, stuffing your face with ice cream. The world is terrifying, but life is not; don't forget to keep living in the chaos.

Make this year a year about you. Say "no" more, because no is an incredibly beautiful word. And life is too short for you to do anything that doesn't make your heart beat. Be strange or weird or different because being normal is completely overrated. Whatever it is that keeps you alive, do it more and do it often.

I'm not sure what the future holds, only that nothing is guaranteed. So I'm choosing myself this year. For the first time in a long time, I'm choosing to be selfish.

And like Hemingway said, I'm finding strength in the broken places.