The World Is Dark But Still Good

The World Is Dark But Still Good

Seasonal reminder: The news might be dreadful, but it's not all bad.

34
The World Is Dark But Still Good
Alexandre Perotto- Unsplash

This morning I woke up and one of the first things I did was check Twitter. Typical millennial? Yes, absolutely. One of my favorite things that I forget comes every year is Google’s video that highlights the year in a unique way. In 2016, it was about loving one another.

This year it took on more of a discovery theme, asking “how?” It highlighted our google searches this year. The big question really hit home. People asked how to prepare and endure an earthquake, how to help refugees, and how to rally up and protest. It showed us that this was a year that, as the great majority sees it, was dark. We had a lot of struggles, and we’re still in the thick of it.

We have a controversial president, the world has shifted from seeing us as a leader in power, international relations have changed, and crises are developing before our eyes. Puerto Rico is destroyed, families are torn apart, and we still deal with prejudice, racial tensions, and conflict in our country every day. We always will, but this year seemed to be a turning point in a roller coaster as it hurtled downhill. It feels like we’re stuck waiting for the next uphill climb.

But in the midst of all that, there is still a lot of hope. As I sat in bed crying about this video and the struggle it captured, I remembered that there were two parts of me crying -- the cynic in sad sunken agreement, and the quiet optimist that only comes out when I’m really happy or when I really need her. She cried because she knew there was still good. And I’m trying to convince her to speak up a little more.

2017 on a global scale seemed to mirror a lot that happened in my own personal life. Obviously, the tragedies are different, but I’ve experienced heartache, stress, anxiety, big life changes, and crises of my own that have not been anything short of painful. The cynic could talk your ear off about it, and if you’re close to me, you know she does.

But the optimist in my brain was excited about watching Google’s masterpiece unfold on my iPhone. She saw all the bad and reminded me of where I was -- sitting with someone I love, about to head home in a few days to my incredible family, getting my education in one of the world’s most beautiful cities.

Reflecting on this year for our world, there is a lot of hope to be spoken of too. There is a movement of resistance; there are leaders being elected that have overcome the odds. There are movements for justice and movements to bring families facing natural disaster back together.

There are people writing legislation, writing stories, people speaking up, people giving back, and people learning that leadership is the greatest cure for a sick world. We are all fighting hard, doing our best, and in the most ordinary moments of our lives, when things in the news seem to depict a crumbling world, we must remind ourselves of the joy and love that we can find in all parts of our lives, in the people around us.

There are good people everywhere. Those people are fighting the good fight. If you have the privilege to know any of those treasured souls, let them remind you that amidst the fog that is a dark and painful world, there is light, there is good, and there is hope. Martin Luther King Jr. said, “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” In 2018, we should live the most incredible stories with this quote as a driving force. Make it great.