The Women's March By The Numbers

The Women's March By The Numbers

A look at the numbers behind the upcoming Women's March On Washington
85

As the nation gears up for Donald Trump's inauguration in the coming days, several hundreds of thousands of women (and men!) are gearing up to protest Trump's position in the highest level of office in the land in the Women's March On Washington.

The purpose of the demonstration, as stated by its organizers, is “to come together in solidarity to express to the new administration & congress that women’s rights are human rights and our power cannot be ignored.” It's likely that these people will not be ignored (at least not by the media), as this is poised to be the largest demonstration against Trump during his inauguration weekend. Demonstrators are demanding not only equal rights for women under a president accused of sexual harassment, but also immigration rights, and the ceasing of police brutality. Here's what we know about the march so far, as shown by the numbers.

1/21/2017

The date of the Women's March On Washington, along with its many sister marches. The demonstration was set to take place the day after his inauguration in order to give Trump a hard time on his first day in office.

4

The number of co-chairs who came to be organizing the event in Washington. It started out as a Hawaiian woman who planned on showing her grievance with the election results by calling up friends to ask if they would join her in protest in Washington, D.C. at the inauguration.

281

The number of sister marches set to take place on the same day. Demonstrations will be held in cities across the United States. Many other countries around the globe, such as Kenya, Japan, Saudi Arabia, and Australia will also be joining in protest.

180,000

The number of people who marked themselves as "going" to the event in Washington, D.C. on Facebook.

393

The number of buses that have registered with the city to park for Inauguration Day.

1200

The number of buses that have registered to park with the city for the Women's March.

53

The number of people chartering a bus to Washington, D.C. all the way from Toronto, Canada.

30

The number of groups joining the march, including Girls Who Code, Planned Parenthood, the Muslim Women's Alliance, the Trayvon Martin Foundation, and Black Girls Rock. Many celebrities, such as Katy Perry, Gloria Steinem, Amy Schumer, Uzo Aduba, Scarlett Johansson, Cher, and America Ferrara are also planning to attend the D.C. event.

180,000-300,000

The number of people expected to attend the Washington, D.C. event, as monitored by Facebook, parking permits, Amtrak, and the event's website. (If you are planning to attend, register here.)

10:00am

The time the D.C. event is scheduled to start. The event is speculated to last as until as late as 5:00pm.

1,093,594

The amount of money at the time of this writing that the event has raised so far in an effort to pay for the security of marchers, port-a-potties, and parking.

2,000,000

The Women's March On Washington's goal for fundraising for the logistics of the event.

30,000-100,000

The estimated number of "pussy power" pink hats with ears reminiscent of cats that have been knitted as part of the Pussyhat Project, a wearable protest of Trump. Reportedly, there has recently been a shortage of pink yarn. The culprit is doing a great job of making itself known. (Register your hat here.)