The Window, Part 2: A Poem

The Window, Part 2: A Poem

I can't keep waiting for an idea to happen only for it to stay just that within me.

11
Hand reaching out towards window

Guess you really did it this time, haven't you?

Just when I thought there could be a chance for us –

A chance to explore a possibility I had been wanting for so long,

An idea I had clung onto over the years,

An idea that took a long time to fade out and sink but then had resurfaced just months before –

When the window had opened up after having been closed for years,

One I hoped would stay open until the right enough time would come for me to take that leap…

That chance has just been diminished by just one glance of a Facebook update:

An update that contains the words "in a relationship" in that order,

The kind of update one would not expect from a casual scroll through their timeline.

I really thought the window would stay open for much longer,

But I had not realized it was open until I had prodded you,

And I had only done so after the change you made in your photo.

Even if the difference were only a couple months before I had known,

I did not expect you to move on with someone new that quickly,

Especially during a time when we all need to be farther in distance than ever before.

I also couldn't help but notice your new beau was closer to us than I had thought,

Thrown off by the unfamiliar name she bears:

Just a grade year under us during our time in high school,

And just one year her predecessor's senior –

Who had been by your side for almost seven years –

Facts I double-checked by the class photo pages within our yearbook.

It would be too little to say I was only shocked at coming across such news,

But rather that mixed with hurt and ultimately resigned,

Because I can't keep waiting for an idea to happen only for it to stay just that within me.