The weird FIBA–EuroLeague dispute

The weird FIBA–EuroLeague dispute

FIBA

37
The weird FIBA–EuroLeague dispute

FIBA is the entity that governs worldwide basketball.

It is always a good idea to visit 1xBet - online sports betting Nigeria can also be used to wager on excellent matches of this sport from all over the world.

However, there have been a few disputes between FIBA and other entities regarding who actually controls basketball in certain areas of the world. One of these instances was known as the FIBA–EuroLeague Basketball controversy. As its name suggests, it refers to a dispute related to who actually controls European basketball. The 1xBet Nigeria website has online sports betting opportunities in European basketball as well.

Origins of the dispute

FIBA created an entity called EuroLeague in 1958. In simple words, its main purpose was to govern the main competitions of this sport across the European continent. Yet, it can be said that the actual conflict began in 2000, this is because the largest basketball teams in Europe decided to create a brand new competition. If you want to make live wagers on European basketball, you can now go to the https://www.1xbet.ng/en/live website.

Its name was Euroleague Basketball, and was completely independent from the FIBA-sanctioned EuroLeague. FIBA never trademarked the “EuroLeague” word. For this reason, it was not technically illegal to use this word for any other kind of instance. However, FIBA was obviously not happy with all of this. The best competitions organized by FIBA are available on the 1xBet website too.

New tournaments back and forth

FIBA could not challenge the use of the name “EuroLeague”. However, what they could do (and eventually did) was to create a brand new tournament, which was known as Suproleague. This immediately created a division in European basketball. Most teams decided to remain with the non-FIBA Euroleague, while a few others decided to become part of the Suproleague. The options for making basketball betting online from 1xbet.ng/en/line/basketball are really impressive, and they also provide excellent odds.

Some of the teams that joined the FIBA-backed Suproleague were:

• Panathinaikos;
  • Maccabi Tel Aviv;
  • and CSKA Moscow.

Eventually, in 2004 an agreement was reached between FIBA and the EuroLeague. In simple words, they agreed to organize competitions of their own in the European continent.

But the conflict erupted again in 2015. FIBA wanted to create another new competition. They also invited many EuroLeague teams to join it, which was something that this organization didn’t like. Making online basketball betting from 1xBet can be really profitable, including when wagering on FIBA tournaments. After threats of even suspending national teams, a new agreement was reached in 2017.