Why The Weeknd's Music Shows Everything That Is Wrong With Our Generation

But somehow it's quite endearing, and even beautiful.

273
MTV

An article written in the Rolling Stone last October probably described his music better than anyone could: "drug-drenched, indie-rock sampling, sex-dungeon R&B".

Josh Eels is completely right in his description too. Abel Tesfaye, colloquially known as "The Weeknd", exhibits a profoundly distinct style in virtually everything he say and does. His music is dark and intimate, filled with lyrics about a troubled past, drug abuse, and sexual episodes with many different women. Although the performer he is today is a much different, more articulate person, the man that he used to be according to his lyrics is largely symbolic of the romantic tendencies of our generation. In other words, the reason that a drug-drenched, indie-rock sampling, sex-dungeon, R&B-savvy dark horse like The Weeknd was able to become just the 12th artist in the history of music to record back-to-back number one singles is very simple: his musical tone, style, and lyrics mutually reflect distinct qualities of our generation.

Our generation obsesses over the unnecessary complicated, painfully dark nuances of romance. Every person of the opposite gender, whether you acknowledge it or not, brings forward a different set of mental and physical traits that repulse, mildly interest, or eagerly fascinate you. This holds especially true if you're between the ages of, say, 16-24; if you are frequently going out, having fun, and meeting others of the opposite gender, you are likely, in some way, shape, or form, playing someone or getting played.

This is what The Weeknd's music is all about. He may have sold out to a certain degree with two cheesy, repetitive singles in "The Hills" and "Can't Feel My Face" in order to appeal to a larger crowd and gain a bigger fan base, but at the base of his actual music lies a thoughtful, romantic, intimate, beautiful soul that demonstrates a deep understanding and honest appreciation for the beauty behind the ugliness of our generation.

His 2015 album entitled Beauty Behind the Madness is his best yet; I have listened to it front to back easily 10+ times. I hate to be this guy, but listen to it. In the midst of the terrible mainstream music our generation has cursed us with, The Weeknd is a sort of Messiah. His tsunami-looking hair and lack of regard for just about any type of language barrier or social etiquette makes him, at least in my opinion, the "coolest" artist of our generation.

He even thinks he is on his way to be "the next Michael Jackson". He explains in his Rolling Stone interview that he is well aware of just how good he is, how influential he has become on contemporary music, and how awe-struck his fan base is by his wild hair and his even wilder "bed-hopping, pill-popping" style of music. Many of his songs are crude, dark, and twisted. Through his Jackson-like high-pitched voice and intimate lyrics, he commonly explains emotional issues which have frequently prevented him from any sort of commitment, led him to go without talking to his own mother for over a year, and even got him kicked out of school and led him to drop out for good at the next one at the age of 17. The few interviews that he has ever given are filled with profanities albeit a casual, easy-going tone for a seemingly haunted human being. In fact, Abel Tesfaye is a sweet guy. His intentions for the future of his music and his future audiences are pure and honest. He loves music, believes in the power of his influence, and strives for the greater good of R&B.

He has already been on "Saturday Night Live," been featured on songs with the biggest names in rap and pop, been invited to play at reputable music festivals, and performed on the biggest stages all around the world. There is no denying the fact that he has become an international music superstar. As I mentioned, I think his greatness ultimately lies in the way that his music reflects the romantic attitudes of our generation. His lyrics encapsulate everything that is wrong with the way we love today, but somehow it's beautiful. Somehow, he allows his listeners to relate to all of the problems that we have created for ourselves, and it's beautiful. Somehow, his high-pitched voice and shockingly disturbing yet enticing stories about sex and drugs make you want to mourn for your own sob stories and party at the same time, and it's beautiful. If you don't care to listen to his music or follow the fascinating story of his life, at least take the time to understand it and appreciate it if you truly consider yourself to be in touch with the music of our generation. He very well could be the next Michael Jackson. Or maybe he will eventually fade away and merely be remembered as that one Canadian singer with the monstrous haircut and drug-drenched, indie-rock sampling, sex-dungeon R&B style of music.