The Truth About Getting Wisdom Teeth Taken Out

It's not as bad as it sounds, I promise.

64
Abbeville Dentistry

If you know me, you know I hate anything medical related. I can't watch hospital shows without getting the heebie-jeebies, let alone the thought of walking into one. So when I found out I would have to get all four of my wisdom teeth extracted, I was less than thrilled. The thought of being knocked out and unaware of what was happening for an hour made me feel sick to my stomach. What if I didn't wake up? What if I somehow woke up in the middle of the surgery? Contrary to what I though, these thoughts were not a reality. In all honesty, it felt like I took a 30-second nap. Although I did wake up wondering where I was after the extraction, I remembered right away. I also remember looking at the clock and realizing that the procedure took 50 minutes. But to me, it only felt like 30 seconds. Walking out to the car was an experience, I honestly felt like I was drunk. Here is what you need to know if you find that it is vital to get your wisdom teeth removed.

1. Make you don't eat or drink before the surgery

My surgery was at 7:30 am, so this wasn't too much of a problem for me. I was told to not ingest anything after midnight the night before. You can take a small sip of water with any daily medications you must take, but don't down too much. Too much water (or food) in your system will mess with the IV sedation or anesthesia, and it won't do its job. I know the water looks good now, but hold off on it.

2. Pudding will be the only source of food for a few days

I had so many burger/pizza/taco cravings days after my surgery. As tempting as it is, don't do it. My diet for the first few days consisted of not only pudding but applesauce, soup, crushed up noodles and ice cream.

3. Infections are common

I admit, I had an infection on the bottom left side of my mouth when I got my wisdom teeth out. It was caused by food getting stuck in the area where the tooth was removed and was easily treated with antibiotics. I also had to use a syringe with water and a Listerine type liquid to get rid of the food that was stuck. If you run into this problem, consult with your oral surgeon as soon as possible.

4. The healing process is different for everyone

I was told that after three days, my mouth and eating habits would be back to normal. But my pain lasted a week and a half, due to my infection. Don't freak out if your friend says that she was eating nachos after the third day and you're still in pain after day five. Again, consult your surgeon if you are still feeling pain after a week due to the possibility of infection.

5. Stay calm. Nothing bad will happen during the surgery

I have a fear of needles, and I still had no problem with the IV sedation. I just didn't look at the needle when they put it in my arm, and a few minutes later I was sound asleep. I was all worked up for no reason! You will be a okay, all you need to worry about is what Netflix show to binge watch while on bedrest.