The True Meaning Of Valentine's Day

The True Meaning Of Valentine's Day

Because some things need to be put into perspective...

210
The True Meaning Of Valentine's Day
El Guacho blog

Valentine’s Day…the holiday that arrives every year that reminds girls of the loneliness of being single, or the joys of being in a relationship. There is no denying that this holiday brings out a mixture of emotions, especially for girls, depending on their current “relationship status.” Although the fourteenth of February can be considered a day to express your appreciation towards your loved ones, it is commonly recognized by this generation as a day that’s only celebrated with one’s significant other. While this is not necessarily true, there is no doubting that spending Valentine’s Day with your significant other is something that is very special. Anyone can attest that this holiday holds a sincere meaning for those who are in a relationship.

To the girl in a relationship:

I hope that you have the opportunity to share Valentine’s Day with your boyfriend, and if you do, try your best to make this day stand out. There truly is nothing that your boy loves more than being reminded of the feelings you have for him. Take this day to cherish the memories you two have made in the past, and to talk about all of the experiences that you’ve shared together. Take this day to realize how much your relationship has grown over time and how much you two mean to each other. Of course, it’s nice to exchange a love letter and some chocolates but, at the end of the day, nothing is more heartwarming than spending time together, just the two of you.

To the girl who is single:

It is most likely that you dread this day. Don’t let yourself feel lonely or unhappy. Spending quality time with your closest friends or even your family is the perfect alternative and can help you realize that you don’t need a man. Celebrating love is not exclusive to couples. Go out and buy your best friend a small token that shows how much she means to you. Make your parents a thoughtful and heartfelt card. Small gestures that don’t require a lot of effort are still meaningful, and can be successful in reminding you that this holiday isn’t just about the relationship between a boyfriend and a girlfriend.

Friendship is an aspect of life that is also highlighted through this holiday even though it may not seem so. There really is so much more to this day than you think. The misconceptions that we tend to have of Valentine’s Day make it seem somewhat pointless. People claim that love and admiration should be expressed every day, not just on this designated day. Although I do agree with this, I feel that Valentine’s Day should not be hated on as much as it is.

My goal in writing this article is to maintain the beauty of this love-spreading holiday. We should all take this holiday to understand the importance of our loved ones and how much they have impacted our lives with their endless affection. We should make sure that they know how much they’re treasured. There is nothing in life that compares to the value of friendship. There is also nothing in life that compares to having a significant other, but for those who cannot relate to this right now, I promise that your time will come.

On a personal note, this Valentine’s Day marks a year since I have met the boy of my dreams. So, this day holds a certain excitement for me. As it approaches, I am starting to realize how much of a journey it has been over the past year. Not only have I gained a boyfriend, but also a best friend. The meaning of Valentine’s Day has significantly changed for me over the past year. Based on this, I want you to know that despite your “relationship status” Valentine’s Day can really put things in perspective. It can help you to realize that there is so much more to this day than just a significant other.