The Top 5 "Game of Thrones" Podcasts

The Top 5 "Game of Thrones" Podcasts

If you’re like me and enjoy not only consuming your favorite piece of media when it airs, but also want to engage in discussion and here people nerd out about it just like you, then podcasts are a must!

222
The Top 5 "Game of Thrones" Podcasts
Game of Owns

If you’re like me and enjoy not only consuming your favorite piece of media when it airs, but also want to engage in discussion and here people nerd out about it just like you, then podcasts are a must! And, for a show as popular as Game of Thrones it’s rich source material by George R.R. Martin, there’s a plethora to choose from. From breaking down your favorite theories, discussing intricate character arcs and motivations, or just making you laugh, there are a variety of different podcasters that each fill a different need in your nerdy cravings!

Here are my top 5:

5. A Storm of Spoilers

The cast is brilliant, knowledgable, and also diverse in opinion with two book readers and one show-only watcher. This podcast is unique in that it, just as the title suggests, focuses on spoilers and viewing the television show through an adaptational lens. From production spoilers, to leaked scripts, to the books, nothing is off limits! If you’re looking for a podcast that will break down the series and allow you to explore it from an informed production standpoint and enjoy the speculation that comes with internet leaks, this is the podcast for you!

4. Game of Owns

This was the first Game of Thrones related podcast I listened to and a totally brilliant one for dipping your feet into the waters! The cast has great chemistry and offer an incredible insight into the series and the pure love for the world of Ice and Fire is plain. It’s also got some great interview segments with some pretty special guests including producer and writer Bryan Cogman, Finn Jones (Loras Tyrell), and frequently the one and only Kristian Nairn (Hodor). They also hosted one of the coolest fan events during New York Comic Con last year called “Rave of Thrones” which included great guests, costume contests (which yours truly participated in), a lesson in the language of Thrones from David J. Peterson, and closed the night out with a Kristian Nairn DJ session! If you’re looking for a podcast that feels like it’s made by fans just like you discussing and breaking down the show and the books, you should go with Game of Owns!

3. The Fanwankers

This isn’t strictly a Thrones cast, but specializes in all things fandom and geeky entertainment. However, their coverage of this past season of Thrones has been brilliant and the three lady (and awesome guests!) are fully versed in the world of Ice and Fire and it’s television adaptation. They wonderfully discuss the choices that come with adaptation and what the implications of said choices are. If you want an informed podcast with smart discussion, a healthy bit of saltiness, three brilliant women, and that may make you think twice about the biggest how on television, then you should listen to The Fankwankers!

2. Unabashed Book Snobbery

This podcast features two of the hosts from the Fanwankers, and focuses on all things A Song of Ice and Fire and A Game of Thrones. From lengthy book discussions, hearty and well-thought out retrospectives on the seasons, as well as episodes dedicated to character arcs and thematic relevance in the book series, this podcast will get you thinking! Also if you want the best Dornish headcannons and discussion, look no further! Their Dornish retrospective and head cannon hour (or two) are some of my favorite episodes! With enough saltiness to cure your book snob heart, as well as a level-headed and intelligent approach to breaking down and critiquing the show, Unabashed Book Snobbery perfectly exemplifies that Martin’s work is truly more than just fantasy. It’s a true series of literary merit!

(also the source of one of the best and most accurate GIFs of Thrones' adaptational choices)

1. Cast of Thrones

Easily the funnest podcast out there, this cast feels like your friends. It’s the only podcast I’ve supported on Patreon and that’s for a reason. They are hilarious, smart, and the strong friendship between them all is just so palpable. Cast of Thrones feels like the book club you want to have with your friends at it’s best. They have read through the entire series, played through the TellTale game, and effectively discuss and recap the show, all while having a great time! I have never laughed harder at a podcast than the episode where they spent a massive chunk of time discussing “big pigs.” I will say no more. You just have to listen! The tangents, or rather, “research binges” they sometimes go on are my favorite part. Cast of Thrones feels like you and your friends talking about your favorite piece of geeky entertainment and never fail to make me smile! From donkey transitions to the moments where Tim decides it’s time to take out his maps, Cast of Thrones is the ultimate blend of fun, intelligent, hilarious, and entertaining! Their book clubs are the best out there and their GOTYE’s (Game of Thrones Year Endie’s) is definitely my favorite award show! If you want a Game of Thrones podcast that gives you a little bit of everything (love, saltiness, critical analysis, and laughs) Cast of Thrones is the one for you!

And one of their brilliant yearly features (Wine, Women, and Westeros)!

So if you are looking to deepen your involvement and discussion of all things Ice and Fire, look no further than the plethora of brilliant podcasts out there! There's something for everyone and, if you're like me, there's everything for someone!