The Thank You Letter My Swim Coach Deserves

I am so thankful you spent so much of your time and energy on making me a better swimmer and person.

2325
Mackenzie Briggs

Now that I've finished my first semester of college, without swimming I realize how much I miss it. My coach taught me so much, and I am forever thankful. Every time I get a whiff of chlorine or see kids swimming laps, I think of him.

Coach,

Your hard practices will never be forgotten. Whether we were sprinting outside during drylands or inside the pool, you worked us hard. At times I thought that the workouts you gave us were just to be mean, but they really kept us in shape.

Thank you for giving me a place where I could be myself and was accepted. I remember the first practice I ever attended, I was shy, nervous, and not quite sure of what to expect. You said something to make me laugh, and I instantly felt right at home.

Sometimes your practices were so hard, I would just want to get out and never come back. You taught me a lot about hard work and finishing what you've started. At times it was so hard I forgot how much I loved the sport and wanted to quit, but I never wanted to disappoint you.

Occasionally you pushed us too hard, but you wanted us to be the very best we could be. I have had multiple cortisone shots in my shoulder, months of physical therapy, and you still pushed me. At the time I thought you were just being an ass and you didn't care about the fact that I was injured, but now I see you wanted me to push through the pain.

Thank you for choosing me among four other girls for a few years in a row to swim the mile, I will always remember that. When I first started swimming I would've drowned if I tried to swim a mile, but after years of practice, I swam a mile competitively and I have you to thank for that.

I was never the fastest swimmer, but you still treated me like I was. Thank you for yelling at us until we did it right because you are the reason I had great starts and turns. Even when I wasn't swimming for you, but racing against your team, hearing you yelling "MOVE" made me swim faster. I was the fastest and best at swimming, at my "peek" when I swam for you.

Thank you for caring about us and our lives. Some coaches know just as much as they need to, to be able to coach someone. You were so involved in our personal lives (it was kind of annoying) yet it motivated me to do better. You could tell if I was having an off day, or if I was super happy, and you probably knew the reason why.

After spending the last few years coaching, I understand why you did what you did the majority of the time. You were never trying to make us miserable, and you definitely were not trying to make me cry. All you wanted was the best for us, and I am so thankful you spent so much of your time and energy on making me a better swimmer, and person.