The Tales Of A Father And Daughter

The Tales Of A Father And Daughter

How my dad and I are like Lorelai and Rory.

127
The Tales Of A Father And Daughter

Let me just get this out in the open. I am obsessed with Gilmore Girls. I have probably watched every season five times. I connect to the relationship of Lorelai and Rory Gilmore a bit differently than most. I’m sure most of you know the dynamics of Lorelai and Rory’s mother-daughter relationship. I am also sure that some of you have compared your mother daughter relationship to Lorelai and Rory and either said, “That is so my mom and me!” or “I wish that my mom and I had that relationship!” I said something slightly different. I said “My goodness that is exactly like my dad and me” Basically my dad is the Lorelai to my Rory, my very best friend, my rock, and my biggest support system. Here are all the ways that I see my relationship with my dad like Lorelai and Rory’s.

Any trip Lorelai and Rory went on was a grand adventure of whatever they wanted

My trips with my dad were always the best. We’d adventure around doing anything we desired. No matter where we’d go, it would always be better when it was just he and I. I remember every single Disneyland trip, Vegas trip, SoCal trip, beach trip, and all the places in between. We’d always do the most random and hilarious things. We’d go with the flow and just discover the best places. I can’t imagine going on those trips with anyone else.

Lorelai always put Rory’s dreams ahead of her own

All my life my dad has put me first. He went to every singe cheer competition, football or basketball game that I was cheering at and to all my school performances. Anything that I performed at, he was there. He helped me with every school project even if he had other things he needed to do. He sent me to New Zealand and Australia just because I got an opportunity to go, and he worked overtime so that I could do it.

He also waited to date until I turned 18. He didn’t want anything to get in the way of him being in my life, so he sacrificed finding love to raise me the best of his ability. He also shared every single one of my pleas to raise money to get to Uganda the countless times I have gone, as well as donated money and supplies to each of my trips. When I decided to move to Uganda he did all that he could to make sure that my biggest dream came true.

Lorelai’s opinion always meant the most to Rory

What my dad thinks about me means more than what anyone else thinks. I am 24 years old, and I still ask my dad’s opinion before getting a tattoo. I still want to know if he thinks a job is a good fit for me. He’s the first person I go to when I need advice or to know what to do because I want his opinion. If he doesn’t like a decision I made, I seriously question myself and reconsider my choices.

Rory’s tribute to Lorelai during her valedictorian speech

In Rory’s graduation speech, she attributes her life being the way it is because Lorelai raised her. She declares that she is the person she is today because of who Lorelai made her to be. My dad is that for me.

My dad poured everything into raising me, and I truly am my father’s daughter. His humor, sarcasm, kindness, and compassion are engrained in me. I would not be who I am if it wasn’t for him. What he sacrificed and gave me led me to be the woman I am today. In her speech, Rory says, “My mother never gave me any idea that I couldn’t do whatever I wanted to do or be whoever I wanted to be.” That was my dad exactly. He always told me that I could be anything I set my mind to and he truly believed that.

Rory didn’t want Lorelai to leave Yale

When Rory left for Yale, she immediately called Lorelai and wanted her to come back because she didn’t know how to live away from her. When I moved into the dorms at Jessup, I missed my dad more than anything, and I wasn’t sure how to live away from him. It had been he and me for the longest time. I missed him so much I called him every single day and had weekly dinners with him. When anything big happened at school, all I wanted to do was call him and tell him all about it.

Lorelai and Rory were undoubtedly the best of friends

My dad is my very best friend. He is the person I tell everything to. He is the person I know I can always be myself with. He may think I am crazy but he loves me anyway, and he will act just as crazy. He can always make me laugh when all I want to do is cry; he joins in on my crazy antics just like any best friend would.

Dad, thank you for being the Lorelai to my Rory. Thank you for being my best friend, my biggest supporter and all that I could ever ask for in a father. Thank you for giving me more than I could ever have imagined. You by far are the best person I know, my biggest hero and the person I hope to make the proudest in this life. I honestly don’t know who I’d be today without your love and support. Thank you for dealing with my tantrums, my endless sarcasm, my sass, and my attitude. You always loved me anyway and always will. You are the best father a girl could ever ask for. I love you more than you will ever know and I equate all that I am today to you.