The College Effect

The College Effect

It takes three minutes of zoning out to be lost for half a semester.

14
The College Effect
www.giphy.com

Everyone has their niche, calling, something they excel at, etc. -- or at least something they suck a little less at than most things.

For me, that is math. I like numbers and solving equations. It just makes sense. I love math puns, watching funny math videos, and even have a board on Pinterest dedicated to math memes--- a bit lame but that's just me I guess.

For you, that might be literature, science, history, government, econ, etc. You are in that class, and you kill every test. You just know that you are good at it. You might be weak in one thing, but this subject has got your back. It's the class that keeps you GPA afloat.

Wanna know what sucks? When the subject you have been good at for so long suddenly turns into a subject created by Satan.

Here's how that process goes:

1. *Delusional pre-conceived notion in my brain about how this class is my jam* I'm actually good at math. I'm so excited for this class. It's going to be so much fun!!!!

2. *Interaction with upperclassmen in the library during the first week of classes (who already look like they are going to die from the workload)* They give me a warning. "Do NOT do that to yourself. It doesn't matter how good you think you are. Don't take an 8 AM math class. Abort mission!"

3. Suck it up. You got thisssss.

4. *Goes to the first day of calculus class and listens to lecture* Wow, I knew everything. See all this stuff makes sense. Of course, unlike Spanish, math is my thing! I should totally buy that punny math shirt I saw on amazon. It'll be here by the next class too! (Gotta love Amazon prime!)

5. *Second class* Okay, well this is a step up from last time. Haha, I'm a little rusty. I would totally know what the domain and range of these trig functions were if I could remember what the basic graph looked like. We would just graph them on calculators in high school tbh. That's an easy fix, though. Just gotta brush up on my skills. It's all good.

6. *Third Class* I watched a graphing trig functions video. I'm on top of my game. Oh god. Don't fall asleep. No, don't close your eyes. Noooooooooo. *pinches self* Ow!!!! I literally only zoned out for like three minutes. A class should never be 1 1/2 hours long. Like ever. So, I'm a little rustier than I thought. That's fine. Everyone has their off day. *Blames problems on lack of coffee*

7. *Classes 4-7.5* Well, everyone has their off month. It's college. Just gotta get adjusted to college. *sings "What doesn't kills you makes you stronger" in my head*

8. *No. Kelly Clarkson, you are wrong.* How have I gotten so stupid? Math is supposed to be my thingggggg.

9. I decide to form a study group with people in my class.

*in study group*

Me: okay, problem one... *5 minutes later* Does anyone have the answer? No. Okay.

*5 more minutes later*

Them: This sucks.

Me: Yep.

Them: What are you doing after study group?

Me: Oh, you know... not math.

Them: Sounds great.

Me: Yeah.

*After 45 minutes of sitting together to ponder over homework, we decide to call it quits.*

10. Honestly Regina. You might actually be right.

11. *the accuracy of this meme though*

12. *prays that this is just a phase and my brain will come out of its ctrl+alt+del mode* Guys, don't lose hope. If you are struggling in a class that you used to be good at or thought you wanted to major in something but realized that you don't like it as much as you thought you would...