14 Struggles Everyone Who Wears Glasses Can Clearly See

For how expensive they are, you'd think they'd be able to combat all the elements...right?

85
Original Photo Courtesy of Mia Dusek

I've had glasses since I was in 6th grade. In the years that I've had them, I've definitely experienced everything that comes with owning them, wearing them and trying to care for them. I've also come up with a list of 14 things that are the true epitome of what glasses wearers deal with on a daily or yearly basis.

1. The Fog

You know, the fog. Drinking hot drinks, putting on your glasses after a shower, stepping inside your house after being in the cold tundra that's outside your door, wearing scarves up to your nose.

2. Driving

No, I don't have prescription sunglasses or transitional lenses. I'm 5'2" and can barely see above the dashboard, so my car's sun shield does very little to keep the August morning sun from blinding me on the highway.

3. 3-D Movies

If you want to go to a 3-D movie while wearing glasses, you might as well cancel your plans altogether. Wearing the two pairs together is nearly impossible and being able to see the outline of 3-D glasses frames from the corner of your eye is insanely distracting.

4. "Why Don't You Just Wear Contacts?"

Number one, I'm forgetful. Second of all, it would take me 17 hours to get those things into only ONE of my eyes.

5. Forgetting You Have Them On

Accidentally stepped in the shower while wearing your glasses? Strapped up on an amusement park ride and realize you still have them on? Go to itch your eyelid and smack your glasses against your eyes? Yeah, me too.

6. Sweat

Yes, yes, everyone sweats but having glasses just adds to that sweat. Plus, there's always the constantly pushing my glasses up from the bridge of my nose, because they keep sliding down (thanks, sweat).

7. Insects??

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but having things fly between your glasses lens and unprotected eyes is terrifying. I once had a fly come behind my glasses lens, and I nearly shattered my frames on the sidewalk from flinging them off my face. I've had a friend be stung by a wasp from the same situation happening. It's no joke.

8. Headaches

Wanting to take off your glasses, so it can dull your senses and stop all the pain you feel, but still needing to be able to work on a functioning level...yeah, it's the worst.

9. Taking A Nap

Wanting to lay down or take a nap with your glasses on is painful, if not impossible. Sometimes, you just want be able to see while lying on your side and not worry about smashing your glasses.

10. Rainy Days

Raining outside? Might as well leave your glasses at home. Your lenses are like car windshields, and using your t-shirt to act as a windshield wiper is only going to make the situation worse.

11. Smudges

Say no more.

12. Indentations?

Does anyone else have two ovular marks on the sides of their nose from those two gel things on their glasses? It's like a marking to distinguish the glasses-wearers from the non-glasses-wearers.

13. Under Eye Circles

My glasses' frames are right below my highly noticeable wrinkles and dark circles, so everyone who looks at me will most definitely know that I never sleep!

14. New Glasses

The first few days after you get a new pair of glasses and you sort of feel like you can see to well? You know everything is sort of overwhelming. It's strange.