The Steps to Becoming A Hamilton Fan

The Steps to Becoming A Hamilton Fan

"I am not throwing away my shot."

373
The Steps to Becoming A Hamilton Fan

Okay. So I just recently listened to Hamilton for the first time. I'm a theater person; not like I know every word to every musical ever on Broadway, but I love musicals and I love being on stage. Yes, I am completely aware that, because of how much I love musicals, it took me an unrealistically long time to listen to the phenomenon that is Hamilton. Since finally listening to it, I haven't been able to turn it off. Literally. My alarms that wake me up in the morning? Hamilton. What I listen to in the car? Hamilton. What I listen to on the way to class? Hamilton. In the coffee shop? Hamilton. On my lunch break? Hamilton. I've officially typed "Hamilton" so much that it doesn't even look like a real word anymore.

I was reluctant to ever listen to the soundtrack because of all of the hype surrounding it. I did the same thing with watching Game of Thrones. I don't like having things thrown in my face -- I feel like it's being forced. However, just like with GoT, I ended up loving it once I started. Another reason I was hesitant to jump on the Hamilton train was because I knew I'd end up loving it and I'd want to go see it. Alas, I don't have hundreds of dollars to drop on tickets because, you know, college and whatnot.

My first listening experience was like coming up for air. Never have I felt more passionate about American history and the Revolution. I honestly believe this musical has taught me more about the formation of an independent America than any American history class I've ever taken -- and I've had a few of those. So, here is what it's like to spiral into becoming a Hamilton fan.

STEP 1: Listen to the first song. Hate it because of all the hype. Start bobbing your head. Admit you're a little bit pumped up. Decide to move on to song #2.

Step 2: Admire the way they set up the rhythm and rhyme of "Burr" and "Sir" in "Aaron Burr, Sir. Realize that Aaron Burr has soul. Relate to Hamilton because he's an eager, ambitious, awkward dreamer like you. Laugh at, love, and learn a little French with Lafayette's verse.

Step 3: Okay. You're a lot pumped up now. Embrace it. Realize you have new songs to learn. Realize this musical is funny AF. Realize you don't know enough about American history. Don't throw away your effing shot. Rise up.

Step 4: Aw, the guys are having a drink together and bonding. How cute. Realize "The Story of Tonight" is making you cry. Be a little ashamed that you're crying at a song that is less than two minutes long. Embrace it.

Step 5: Appreciate that "The Schuyler Sisters" sounds like it came straight out of 1995. Admit to yourself that you'd fight a Schuyler sister over Hamilton. "Yeah, you better include women in the sequel." Realize how bad you want to go to New York. Those harmonies, though.

Step 6: Who is this Samuel Seabury and why does he sound like a republican? Be blown away by the fact that they're singing over one another, even though that happens in musicals all the time. Realize that Alexander Hamilton is sassy as hell. Anticipate the message from the King, then laugh when he says "you'll be back." Laugh again when he says, "I will kill your friends and family to remind you of my love." Realize that Hamilton is going to be a snarky musical.

Step 7: You're beginning to understand the hype now.

Step 8: Things are getting heavy now. Brace yourself. Realize George Washington was truly a badass. Realize "Right Hand Man" would be great for a walk-up song. Here comes the general? Exactly right. Realize that Washington basically told Burr to close the door on himself.

Step 9: Ask why it has taken this long for someone to tell American history in a way that makes it legitimately interesting.

Step 10: Realize that Americans have become complacent. Get pumped up about current events, if you weren't already.

Step 11: Start pulling up lyrics as you listen so you can keep up; you'll need them. Trust me.

Step 12: Realize that history classes have seriously neglected Alexander Hamilton's story. Understand that, even though you know Burr is going to be your protagonist, you love him anyway. Make "Wait For It" your anthem (along with every other song in the musical).

Step 13: Realize that you're barely halfway through and you already know somuchmore about America and the people that stood up for her.

Step 14: Take a break. Get coffee. Do a little research.

Step 15: Continue.

Step 16: If you don't already, start to actually care about this country and the history. Recognize that history repeats itself.

Step 17: Have the revelation that history is made by ordinary men and women, that history only exists because they paved a way for the future.

Step 18: Cry. Let it out. You know you need to. You're almost done.

Step 19: Appreciate the fact that American, though flawed, struggled and fought to become an independent, self-sufficient nation. Recognize that we still have a long way to go and resolve yourself to be one of the history makers that helps us get there. Don't be shocked when the history books mention you. Feel empowered to change the world, to make a difference, and to care about the fate of this country and the people in it.

Step 20: Repeat.