The Start Of A West Virginia Bucket List

Let Country Roads take you home.

211
Flickr

West Virginia, though people believe it's full of hillbillies and livestock, is much more than meets the eye. It's a place so loved it has three state songs, the most hospitible people known to man, and tons of rich blue collar history. Whether you're headed to WVU for college or just looking for a way to broaden your WV horizons, here are 10 things you can't miss out on as a Mountaineer.

1. Pepperoni rolls!

Enjoy this West Virginia delicacy, created by Giuseppe Argiro in Fairmont, WV in 1927. A popular lunch item of coal miners in the early 20th century, we enjoy them just as much now as they did back then.

2. Jumping off of the New River Gorge Bridge.

Make your way to Fayetteville, WV this October 16th to celebrate Bridge Day! Interested in base jumping, rappelling, skydiving, bungee jumping, and whatever else you could imagine off of the New River Gorge Bridge? Check out the website for more info!

3. Spending a night at The Greenbrier Resort.

Once a top secret U.S. government relocation facility, now known for The Greenbrier Classic Golf Tournament, The Greenbrier is full of fun things to do. For more information, check out the website!

4. Stargazing at Spruce Knob.

As the highest point in the entire state of West Virginia, you're bound to catch a great view when visiting Spruce Knob. In the dark "more stars, planets, and other celestial bodies can be seen from the Mountain Center than practically any other high-elevation point on the East Coast", claims The Mountain Institute in WV.

5. Visiting Cooper's Rock State Forest.

Whether you're going to check out the view at Cooper's Rock or to hike on a trail, you've definitely picked the perfect way to spend your day (or night, if you're trying to become one with nature and camp out).

6. Getting your picture taken with the Mothman Statue in Point Pleasant, WV.

Yeah, you heard me right, Mothman. Legend has it, the mysterious creature was seen on November 15, 1966 and the next morning the Point Pleasant Register read "Couples See Man-Sized Bird ... Creature ... Something". Want to know more? Check out the Mothman Museum for hours and festival dates.

7. Staying overnight in the West Virginia State Penitentiary!

Located in Moundsville, WV, the Penn has seen riots, fires and the execution of almost 100 prisoners (by either hanging or electrocution). Still interested? The facility offers overnight ghost hunts and paranormal excursions. You can find out more here!

8. Visiting the State Capitol in Charleston, WV.

Maybe act like you're the new governor in town and take a spin in Earl Ray Tomblin's chair? Or pull a Frank Underwood and weasel your way into stealing his job?

9. Singing 'Country Roads' at a WVU game.

I can't quite describe how it feels to sing along to John Denver's most renown tune alongside 60,000 fellow Mountaineers, but you should have to experience it.

10. Attending the West Virginia State Fair.

Get in on all the best funnel cakes, carnival rides, and maybe even check out some livestock this August. Oh, and don't forget-- Jake Owen, Old Dominion, and Alabama will be performing during the week! To get tickets, head to the website!

With summer in our midst and free time on our hands, what better do you have to do? Explore! Whether you've been born a raised in WV or you're just dipping your toe in the water, it's not hard to realize that there are tons of things that make West Virginia a great place to be. Take advantage of it!