West Virginia, though people believe it's full of hillbillies and livestock, is much more than meets the eye. It's a place so loved it has three state songs, the most hospitible people known to man, and tons of rich blue collar history. Whether you're headed to WVU for college or just looking for a way to broaden your WV horizons, here are 10 things you can't miss out on as a Mountaineer.
1. Pepperoni rolls!
2. Jumping off of the New River Gorge Bridge.Check out the website for more info!
3. Spending a night at The Greenbrier Resort.
Once a top secret U.S. government relocation facility, now known for The Greenbrier Classic Golf Tournament, The Greenbrier is full of fun things to do. For more information, check out the website!
4. Stargazing at Spruce Knob.", claims The Mountain Institute in WV.
5. Visiting Cooper's Rock State Forest.
6. Getting your picture taken with the Mothman Statue in Point Pleasant, WV.. Want to know more? Check out the Mothman Museum for hours and festival dates.
7. Staying overnight in the West Virginia State Penitentiary!You can find out more here!
8. Visiting the State Capitol in Charleston, WV.
9. Singing 'Country Roads' at a WVU game.
10. Attending the West Virginia State Fair.
Get in on all the best funnel cakes, carnival rides, and maybe even check out some livestock this August. Oh, and don't forget-- Jake Owen, Old Dominion, and Alabama will be performing during the week! To get tickets, head to the website!
With summer in our midst and free time on our hands, what better do you have to do? Explore! Whether you've been born a raised in WV or you're just dipping your toe in the water, it's not hard to realize that there are tons of things that make West Virginia a great place to be. Take advantage of it!