The Start of War

The Start of War

A Norse mythology short story.

77
The Start of War

There is war again. War for the gods are never a good thing. They are violent and terrible. When this war began brewing beneath the surface, every world, every person could feel the tension. Now that it has begun, everything will feel the impact even more so. However, this war isn't like other wars. This one sprung from the cause of Loki’s devilish gain, the clever god fooling just the right parties to send a tense situation off the knife’s sharp edge. In this war Asgard and their allies are fighting enemies they never thought to ever exist: the allied forces of frost giants, the demons and monsters of fire, and Loki, the trickster god.

Eir, the goddess of healing, can't really remember how Loki first begun the war, but she can clearly remember the day her long time friend Frigg, the goddess of love, came running into her home with bad news trailing behind her like dark cloak. Since then everyone has been involved a hasty scramble to get ready for battle, but in reality no one can ever truly prepare for the war. That is why the first attack was so surprising. The Aesir never expected the frost giants to hit so fast, so powerful. They underestimated their enemies.

Tonight they pay the price.

It is so easy for Loki to take the frost giants into Asgard. He watches Heimdal fight heroically at the entrance of the rainbow bridge. Heimdal tries, oh how he tries, but they overwhelm. He breathes his last breath through his horn, but it's a sputter that few hear, and those who do are none the wiser.

Because today, the fateful day of the Asgard Invasion, all the Aesir are spending their last night before the official start of the war rejoicing their comrades who they may never see again. There are people in every beautiful building that decorates Asgard, every blooming garden is full of merriment and wine, and the winding streets are packed. There is music, food, and laughter all around as gods and warriors share drinks and stories. It is foolish of them, Eir knows as well as the others know, but even their brave hearts carry fear for what the future may be.

In mere minutes, the frost giants breach the banquet. There is a terrible confusion. Those who have faced war before pull weapons from their holsters and enter the fray, but those unawares stand no chance in front of the battle ready giants. Unluckily for Eir, she is one of the unawares. Luckly for her, Frigg appears to wisp her away from a sudden death. Frigg, her beautiful friend dressed in flowing, gossamer gown with her soft hair piling high in a pin, and blood staining her otherwise perfect face.

While those bloodthirsty battle against the giants, Frigg pulls Eir from the blades and ice and into the hidden passages that hollows the inside of Asgard. “Eir,” the goddess speaks with a leveled tone. “You must leave Asgard. The giants have attacked your wards and destroyed your home. Your abilities will be very helpful for us during the war, but costly to them, and they know that very well. I have a feeling that one of their goals tonight will be to have your head.”

The blood drains from Eir's face. “Frigg-”

“You will be leaving Asgard.Odin agrees that the best course of action is for you to hide until we come for you.”

“I can fight! I know how to defend myself!”

Frigg turns to face her friend. “And we can fight better, if not more so, in your stead. For this war, you are too important to lose." Before she knew it, Eir and Frigg are already across the rainbow bridge and at the Bifrost.

“Heimdall!” They find the man motionless and scarred, his blazing orange eyes dulled by death’s blade. Immediately Eir knells by the god’s side, her hands fluttering along his wounds to gauge the damage done.

“Ah, the natural instinct of the Goddess of Healing are predictable. Wouldn’t you agree, Mother?”

Frigg faces her son, her knuckles white as they curl into fists. “Loki,” she whispers, her voice wavering. Said god steps from the Bifrost, his malicious grin as cold as the ice.

“I had a hunch that you would figure out my plans, after all you always understood me the most. On that note, how is my dear old father and my rising brother? Have you missed me while I’ve been away? Don’t worry Mother, all will end well… save for you of course, dear Eir.”

Eir glares at Loki. She, only few years younger, remembers growing up with the boy. In the beginning of Loki's treachery, it was hard for her to understand how he changed. Now it’s hard for her to understand how she never noticed his darkness.

Loki smiles even wider at her glare. He enjoys seeing the sight of the lithe goddess so frazzled with hair out of place, pale skin, and glowing hands. Wait. Her hands that still rest on Heimdall’s chest are glowing. Suddnely Loki's smirk disappears and his eyes widen.

“Stop-!”

It is too late.

In one motion, Heimdall rises from the grave and the ground all at once, his hand grasping his fallen sword as he sweeps it from the beauty of the rainbow bridge. With a thunderous yell, he brings the blade of his broadsword down on his enemy. It cuts through the image like a knife to butter, breaking the surprised mirage in two to reveal Loki’s trick. By this time, the goddesses are already on the move.

Frigg once again grabs Eir’s hand and hauls her toward the inside of the Bifrost. They move quickly to the lock to start the device. From her artwork of copper hair, Frigg pulls the pin keeping her hair together, her long locks tumbling down her back. The pin, Eir notes, is actually a small silver dagger, a delicate thing that seems too fragile to even cut a wing from a fly. Still, Frigg jams the weapon into the key set in the center of the mechanism and the Bifrost comes alive.

Frigg pushes her to the churning mass of the portal. “Go, Eir!” Frigg yells. “We’ll find you when it’s safe!”

“No!”

Where there was empty space there now is Loki, two of his figures grabbing hold of the goddess while another one attempts to pull the dagger from the lock to no avail.

“Why must you make things so difficult?” one Loki asks through gritted teeth. “No matter,” another adds. “I’ll just kill you now, Eir, and be done with the bothersome healer.”

Eir is petrified. She's seen war before. She knows blood, gore, and death. She has felt betrayal and pain. But everything now is happening so quickly and her mind can't keep up. The one thing she truly understands is the god before her, with anger blazing in his eyes and the weapon at his side. She knows that he means her death. The world abruptly decides to give her whiplash once again.

Heimdall, bleeding and battle worn, charges through the mass of Lokis. Somehow, Eir becomes free while Frigg is nowhere to be seen. Then there is lightning. Her hair stands on end, eyes blind by the light, and deafening noise. So much noise.

“Eir!”

Is that Frigg?

There is no way for her to tell. She looks around, but all she can see was flashes of blinding light, dashes of clothing, and the churning portal that leads to other worlds. Something slams into the healer, and she is sent flying. The next thing she knows she is going head over heels down the rainbow bridge.

❂ ❂ ❂ ❂ ❂

Eir's hands brush the ground beneath her, the Bifrost’s mark etched deep into the healthy soil. Eir takes a deep breath to calm her adrenaline filled body and slowly picks herself up from the dirty floor. She takes a look at her, quietly noting the tall trees that stretch impossibly high into the sky, the soft vegetation bursting in the forest undergrowth, and the whisper of music mixed with the gentle breeze. Eir immediately knows where she is.

Alfheim, the homeland of the elves.

Of course, the elf peering from the cover of a thick tree trunk was a dead giveaway.

“Excuse me,” Eir calls soothingly while trying to tame her appearance. “Could you please come out?”

The elf jumps at the goddess' words and then scowls. She steps from behind the tree, her barefeet light and soundless on the forest floor. Adjusting the strap of a worn satchel hanging limply from her shoulder, the elf stops a step away from the Bifrost’s mark, her eyes darting from the goddess to the etched dirt beneath her.

This elf is a rather odd looking creature, her fists and arms haphazardly wrapped in worn leather, and her dirty outfit consisting of a typical male outfit of a plain sleeveless shirt and billowy shorts. Her dark olive green hair is kept short which allows an easy view of the elf's tangerine colored eyes.

Eir takes a single step forward to the cautious elf. “Who are you?”

The elf hesitates then states rather harshly, “Isn’t it rude to ask for a name before giving your own?” Now Eir is the one to hesitate. It’s understandable, of course, due to the fact that her life is hunted. But would they really send an elven child to assassinate a goddess?

“I am Eir.”

The elf is surprised, Gods and goddess are royalty among royalty. They wear clean, beautiful clothes and are always appearing picture picture. This woman with messed up hair and a burnt gown did not fit the image. Still, the elf can tell from the steel in the woman's light blue eyes that she is the renowned and worshiped god of healing. The elf wonders if she will be punished for being rude. The elf decides that the goddess can shove it. The lady fell on her turf. So the elf huffs and narrows her eyes. “Well, Eir, I am Ase. Now what do want?”

A bit stunned by Ase’s hostility, Eir answers quickly, “I was hoping you would be kind enough to point me in the direction of civilization.”

Ase studies the goddess for a few silent seconds, curiosity besting her, before deciding it wasn't worth the trouble. She drags a hand through the unruly mass of chopped hair on her head with another huff. “It’s that a'way,” she says with a halfhearted wave to the west. Eir gives her a nod of thanks.

“I will not forget how you ha-”

A rumble interrupts her. They both look to the sky to see pleasant clouds suddenly whirl together in a violent tornado, light sparking in the funnel.

Eir’s eyes widen. “The Bifrost.” Why is it back on so soon? Is it safe? Intuition screams no. She scrambles to exit the circle, but her efforts are futile. Once again the goddess of healing is sent tumbling down the rainbow bridge.

❂ ❂ ❂ ❂ ❂

This time the goddess lands in a mess of gross, sticky mud. Eir once again picks herself from her graceless landing, sighing at the sight of her once stunning party gown.

“I did not agree to this when I woke up this morning," a voice mutters beside her. Eir turns to the sound and finds to her surprise, a thoroughly displeased, mud covered elf .

“Why are you here?” Eir asks in confusion.

“It’s not like I want to be!" Ase practically hisses at her. "I slipped trying to get away from that god-awful bridge, and it snagged my foot. Anyway, where is here?”

Eir casts her eyes to their surroundings. Thick fog clings to the ground and faint outlines that appear to be mountains far into the distance blur in the misty blanket. “I believe,” the goddess answers, “that we are in Niflheim.”

The elf throws her arms up in exasperation. “Niflheim?! Pray tell, what is there in Niflheim, the land of fog, besides mist, rain, and whoa, fog?!”

“Ase, please take a deep breath-”

“Don’t give me that crap.”

“... I’m sorry for getting you into this mess.”

“Yeah, that makes two of us. Now what are we gonna do? Is there even any city to go to here?” Ase swipes the mud from her satchel, her face a mask of annoyance and displeasure.

Eir looks around thoughtfully. “My knowledge on Niflheim is not vast, so I’m not able to answer your question. I do know that the inhabitants are either extremely reclusive or nonexistent, so local help is impossible.”

Ase glares at the mud beneath her feet. “So we wait for the stupid Bifrost to suck us up again and see what happens.”

“Unfortunately,” Eir sighs. “Ase… When the bridge comes down again, be ready. I am not safe company to have right now, so where we may end up could quickly turn out to be an ugly situation.”

Ase groans and angrily smears mud from her stained cheek. “Great. Now on top of all this I’m stuck with a black sheep. Fantastic.” Still, the elf cleans her clothes as much as possible, picks mud from her hair, and yanks out a set of twin daggers from her satchel, their blades meticulously clean and the handles crafted with attached brass knuckles.

“You got some weapons, girly? 'Where we may end up could quickly turn out to be an ugly situation',” the elf sneers.

Eir pulls the hem of her long, soiled skirt and takes a short golden cylinder from its hidden holster on her thigh. Ase gives the cylinder an unimpressed look before Eir holds it away from her person. In a blink of an eye, the cylinder expands into an impressive seven foot tall staff. Eir almost smiles when she sees the hidden surprise and amazement in the unfriendly elf’s eyes.

“Dwarf made?” Ase questions.

“Certainly.”

“... Impressive.”

Eir grins. Her smile slowly fades as the sky rumbles above them. The goddess breathes in and out to find her center.

I can do this.

❂ ❂ ❂ ❂ ❂

This time when they land in the next world they are ready for whatever terrain thrown at them. At least, that’s what they think.

Lava catches the fine silk of Eir dress on fire, the fabric quickly giving way to the fire’s heat. Eir yelps in surprise and takes quick steps backward. “Eir!” A hand grasps her wrist, pulling the goddess from the perilous lava pit behind her. After extinguishing the flame on her gown the goddess takes a few shaky breaths before nodding at her savior.

“Thank you, Ase. I am now in your debt.”

The elf looks away. “You might not be for long, healer. Look where we’re at.”

Eir doesn’t have to look, the lava an obvious hint, but she does so anyway in hopes that she is mistaken. Black mountains spiral up into the orange tinted sky, hot molten lava spilling from their sides like deadly waterfalls. Buildings occupy the walls of the mountains, the houses built like crude castles encased in rock and precious metals.

“Yup,” Ase confirms. “We’re right smack in the center of Muspelheim, the lovely home of the even more beautiful fire giants. Now how do we get out of here?”

Eir looks up at the sky. “Heimdal! We need your help! Quickly, get us out of here!”

“Oh, no no, little goddess. We do not allow our guest to leave without saying hello.”

Eir freezes. By the monstrous presence alone, Eir already knows who the speaker is. She also knows that her day just became so much worse. “Surt,” she replies as she turns to face a living nightmare.

Towering a few feet above the goddess’ height, the flame giant grins a malicious grin. The giants residing in Muspelheim are similar in appearance to the giants of Jotunheim save for a few startling differences. Their charcoal skin is puckered with scars and artistic designs, red lines criss-crossing their bodies like cracks in a broken mirror. Their eyes glow like fire, pure yellow in color, their teeth sharp, and the thumb on their hands are a single vicious looking black nail that matches the horns curling from their hairless skull.

Surt, the giant among Muspelheim giants, is naturally more frightening, his characteristics mixed with the grotesqueness of the other monsters that reside in this hellish abode. He is known for being the strongest and therefore the leader of the demons of Mespelheim. He is also infamous for being the devil among the demons.

“Surt,” Ase sneers, her tone mocking as she crouches low. “How’s your plan for destroying everything going? You’ve made so much devastating progress. I think I might faint in fear.”

The two giants at Surt’s side tense. Surt’s wicked smile stays the same even as anger makes his eyes burn. “Did you bring me a gift, Eir? You should know a mere elven child do not have much meat on their bones, but I suppose I could make do.”

Ase snorts, but Eir shushes her with a wave of her hand. “What is it that you want, Surt?”

“Originally I was planning on killing you, but of course the foolish god would manage to mess up such a simple task. Now that you're here I might as well use your talents to aid my army. Right now, you see, you are quite valuable.”

Eir shakes her head and squares her shoulders. “I refuse.” Her heart beats wildly in her chest, but she is calm enough to stay brave. She will fight to the end if that's what it takes. She is a goddess and will not be taken lightly.

A loud boisterous laugh spills from the giant’s mouth, the very ground seeming to quake beneath their feet. “That is so like you Aesir. Headstrong till the end. That is, until, others enter the equation. Isn’t that right, little elf?”

Ase brings forward her daggers, knuckles white on the hilt. “That’s so like you,” she mimics, “to have an ego as big as your gods ugly, leprous head.” Eir doesn’t see the giant move, but she hears giant when he strikes.

Ase skids back to the edge of the Bifrost etched ground, her once pristine daggers melted and deformed from blocking the cursed nail attached to the giant’s hand, her barefeet bleeding from her slide across the jagged rock floor.

Surt laughs again maliciously. “To be able to block my blow is an impressive feat, little elf. I will enjoy breaking your spirit and your bones.”

“What do you think you are doing, Ase?! You’re going to get yourself killed, foolish girl!” Eir shouts in anger, her weapon ready to strike.

“I know what I’m doing, stupid goddess!”

Eir’s staff brightens as her anger flows into it. “You do?! Then, pray tell, what may that be?” A familiar noise echoes in the sky overhead.

ASe's harsh gaze locks on the goddess. “I’m gonna drag Surt onto the rainbow bridge with us!!”

It is true. Ase’s taunting lured the giant into the Bifrost’s range. As the bridge descends on the three, Surt’s giants rush to aid their master as said master rages. To be tricked by a mere light elf? Humiliating. Fire rushes throughout the giant’s body, the heat unbearable. Reaching out, he sends unholy flames toward the elf. In the next second the giant, the goddess, and the elf have disappeared into the sky.

❂ ❂ ❂ ❂ ❂

Utter chaos is how one would describe the Bifrost when they land back in Asgard. The beautiful gold ceiling is smashed and gone, the ground etched with the scars of weapons and dirtied by blood and bodies. The surroundings are a blr of blue skinned giants, the flashing of Loki and his clones, lightning, and Aesir tearing through the all the unwanted monsters. At some point in time, demons and giants from the land of fire made their way into the Bifrost’s destroyed center to aid their frost giant allies and add to the madness.

Surt’s rage at Ase explodes in a fiery blast that grabs everyone’s attention when they land. The elf in question scrambles from his attack, but she isn’t fast enough to evade the lightning fast giant. His hand curls around her throat, the nail of his thumb digging into her neck enough for her to know her situation. He lifts her high into the air intent on burning her to a crisp if it wasn’t for the golden staff stationed at his throat.

“Let her down, Surt.” Eir’s calm words seem to echo around the Bifrost. All fighters pause their battles and watch quietly.

Surt lets out a throaty chuckle, his eyes lazily drifting over to the steely eyed woman. “Do you really think you could stop me, little goddess?”

She gives a small smile. “I would not mind finding out.”

“Surt!” Loki appears from the crowd of tense warriors, his brows furrowed. “What are you doing here?!”

Surt lets a pulse of scorching heat. “I’m here because a foolish little Aesir bit off more than he could chew," he snarls. Loki flushes with embarrassment and anger.

“It would seem, Surt, that today has not been a good day for you.” Odin appears from the throng of Asgard warriors, his armor gleaming in the light and his gaze sharp.

“Odin,” Surt grins. Ase falls from his grip as he turns to face the god. Eir swiftly and soundlessly picks up the elf and moves her away from the confrontation. “I will admit that today has not gone as plan, but it has been eventful in the most charming manner.”

“That I would not doubt. But, in your situation here I would say that it will not end in such a… ‘charming’ manner. Therefore I propose that you take your soldiers and your person back to wherest they came.”

Surt laughs as though he was told a joke from an old friend. The bloodthirsty tension is suffocating. “And how would that benefit me?”

“You get to live another day.” Gods and goddesses gather behind their king. Even Eir and Ase have somehow made their way into the crowd, Ase promising death with her gaze even as she cups the burned skin of her throat.

Taking a glance behind him, Surt finds himself greatly outnumbered, only a handful of both fire and frost creatures ready to fight and his other ally, Loki, nowhere to be seen. Now the smile fades from his face.

“You will come to regret this day, Odin,” Surt vows, heat emitting from him as he burns in his fury. “One day Asgard will fall, and you will regret being the spineless leader you are.” One by one each giant and monster exits through the rainbow bridge, Surt leaving last, his eyes burning with a vengeful promise.

The warriors in Asgard breathe a sigh a relief, but not a single one of them cheer. This war will be long, and this is only the beginning.