Stages Of Procrastination

Stages Of Procrastination

It's a far-too-frequent cycle.

9
Stages Of Procrastination
Creative Commons

I have a paper due in four days. So naturally, I'm doing everything except writing that paper (including writing this article). See, I'm a master of procrastination, which means I've convinced myself that I have much more time to do important tasks than I really do, and that I work better under pressure anyway. It's the same routine: I put off an assignment, or some other responsibility until the last minute, and then panic when I don't have a lot of time to complete it. I know it's something I need to work on, but anyone who's a chronic procrastinator knows that's really, really hard to do. Plus, why be productive when you can binge watch Netflix? Here are some of the stages of procrastination.

1. Your paper or project is due in two weeks, which means you can relax because you have all the time in the world.

2. Hearing about how some people in your class have started the assignment makes you a little worried.

3. You make a strict schedule for yourself and are determined to follow it.

4. But then you get distracted and that schedule goes out the window.

5. Feeling confident in your ability to be productive, you decide to sit down and start working.

6. Which is soon followed by the phrase, "I'll finish it later."

7. With the due date approaching soon, you try to get back to work.

8. But then, Netflix happens.

9. After many hours of binge watching a show and doing other mindless activities, you come back to reality and start to panic.

10. Realizing you have to hand in your assignment in less than 24 hours, you sacrifice sleep (and your sanity) to complete it in record time, vowing to never procrastinate again.

[Repeat cycle.]