The Social Media Mentality

The Social Media Mentality

Social Media is all fun and games until you start investing your whole life into it.

117
The Social Media Mentality
Entrepreneur

Can any of you remember the first social media account you made? Was it Bebo or Myspace? Well, whichever it was then social media has evolved through the years. Remember when you first created a Facebook or had a Myspace there wasn’t an app for these sites? You had to log in on your computer and check it from there. There weren’t any fast-paced smart phones that would allow you to check your social media site whenever. And for those of us that were in grade school, remember you would be eager to check your social media site when you got home from school? Well now social media has taken a whole new approach to how we interact with one another. It’s a place where you can keep up with old friends, see how long distance family members are doing, and see news on the world around us right at our fingertips. But social media also can be a place where we base too much of our lives around. There are certain times when we’re looking at something a person on social media has asking ourselves, why don’t we have those things, or often times we wonder why we don’t look like a lot of the people we see on social media. Especially when it comes to celebrities, we go to social media to scope out their lives and judge them based on what we see. Along with this there are a lot of things that are shown that we wish we had or looked like.

Not too long ago, I went to lunch with a friend and he begin to tell me about a girl that wanted to “talk” to him. One of the first things she asked him was could he make her his Woman Crush Wednesday (#WCW) on Instagram. He told her no because that’s something he only uses when it’s necessary. She, in return, was unhappy and kept asking him. Now she saw being his WCW as very important and didn’t want anything less. She basically demanded she be his WCW or she wouldn’t want to talk to him anymore. My friend simply ignored her request and ignored her.

Sadly, I know a lot of people that have been put in this predicament, if it’s not this same situation it’s a similar situation where one person asks the other person about posting them or not accepting their friend request. I’ve also witness people who look at others profiles and want what they have. Not that what the user has is relevant to their life, but they want it because of how it looks or what they assume it brings. Or people compare their lives to those that they see on social media.

I’m not saying social media is bad, because it really isn’t. It’s a great way to stay connected. When something big happens, you are able to find out about it before the actual news release. But what I’m saying here is that everything on social media isn’t goal oriented. Everything you see you don’t need. And people only post what they want you to see. You never know what goes on behind the screen. Everything you read isn’t always reliable, and everything you watch isn’t necessarily good. Don’t be that person that’s quick to call something or someone goals when what you have in your life already is goal worthy. Don’t forget about the outside world is what I’m trying to tell you. Remember that and you will cherish.