The Six Stages Of Falling In Love With Her

Sometimes you fall in love with the most unexpected person, at the most unexpected time.

1513
Hailea Shallock
  • You’ll see her for the first time and she’ll walk right by you as if you’re a crack in the sidewalk with her head so high. When you can’t sleep at night, you’ll think about the way her eyes strayed into yours that one night last summer before her attention was demanded somewhere else. You'll wish it was you who she thought of at night, but you're too scared to say so.
  • She’ll look both ways before telling you she loves you under her breath. When she hugs you her eyes will search the crowded city as if the strangers around her had glaring eyes and rambling mouths that could give away her secrets. Secrets she so desperately wants to set free. You'll look so far beyond her broken eyes and worried smile that you won't even realize what's coming next.
  • When she’s curled up in your arms, shaking with mismatched breaths, you’ll wonder how someone who seemed like they carried mountains could crumble so easily. It was almost as if the tornado in her mind finally hit her and knocked her off her feet. To you she'll come off as put together and you'll end up realizing that no matter how many times you've seen her smile, it doesn't amount to the times you've fallen in love with her imperfections.
  • In the half-lighted room, she’ll run her fingers over your arms like she’s reading the words carved into your skin, almost as if she’s binding them together into the perfect metaphor and you’ll hear it over and over at four in the morning when you can’t sleep due to thoughts of her. No matter how soft her touch may feel, you know deep down she's dangerous.
  • You’ll find safe havens on rooftops and subway cars where she’ll set fire to your insides with hushed breaths between kisses painted perfectly on your lips. You'll wonder how a kiss from her could taste like the heavens when all you're used to is purgatory. She’ll make you forget how dangerous it is to play with matches while your body is made of paper.
  • One night, you’ll stare God straight in the eyes and tell him that if loving her was a sin then you’d want no place in heaven with Him because loving her is like forgetting how to breathe. Loving her was like an hour-glass, your brain emptied while your heart filled up. Loving her was like taking your last breath before going under water. Loving her was like riding a roller coaster for the first time; you don’t know what to expect next. Loving her was a lot of things, but the one thing you love the most is the way her lips fit perfectly on your neck because that’s a slice of paradise you’ll never forget.