What Family Means To Me

What Family Means To Me

A dictionary can't define what family means to a person.

11928
What Family Means To Me

The definition of family is clear according to Dictionary.com, “any group of persons closely related by blood" But that doesn’t define what family means to me as an individual. Family can also be used to describe friends, teammates and any other group you feel close to, in addition to your blood related family. Each family you are a part of is important and special in its own way.

The family you have known the longest are the ones related to you by blood. They are the ones that have been there for your birthdays, graduations, potential religious events, and more. My family in particular is special to me, more so than my friends and teammates I consider family. My parents have done so much for me that I can never thank them enough for what they have sacrificed and given me and my brother. As for my brother, he has brought laughter and insanity to my family for the past 16 years. There is never a dull moment with him around. My cousins are some of my best friends even though I barely see some of them. They are always there for me when I need them, they help me by giving me advice, getting a smile on my face or even comically enough to keep the insanity in my family alive. Your blood related family is the family that you are connected to forever and with my family, I couldn’t ask for anything better.

They say friends are the family you choose. You have to be careful with which friends you make family. I have five friends I know will be family forever and I am so glad I have them in my life. Three of the five have been part of my family for 10+ years and they have seen me at my worst and hopefully at my best. Having friends that are family means that people want to be around you and want to be part of your life. Knowing I have them to lean on is huge for me and can be a huge safety net for others as well. Your friends are the ones that know you the best, they know your secrets, they know who you want to hook up with, when you are feeling down, when you didn’t take your medication and most importantly, they know how to make you smile. Without your friends, what are you doing on Saturday nights? What are you doing over spring break? Friends are essential family members and holding onto friendships during difficult times is always worth doing.

There may be some you are close to, but not on a best friend level. That does not preclude you from being part of the same family, it merely changes the dynamic of the family. For the past 2 years, my baseball teammates have made me part of their family. None of them are friends I would consider lifelong best friends but they helped create an atmosphere where I wanted to spend most of my time in. I wanted to be with my brothers. We had each other’s backs, all cared about each other and most importantly, we all wanted the same thing. We wanted to win. We were a family on a mission. One of the best feelings in the world is being part of a group of people that want you around and you want to be around.

Family means a lot to me, as it does to many others. It is our support system, our guides, and what keeps us going when the times get tough. I don’t think I would be where I am without my family, blood related, friends, or teammates, and their constant support of whatever nonsensical ideas I pursue. I would not likely be writing this without a little push from one of my best friends. While we all sometimes say in our angrier moments that we hate our families, most know we wouldn’t be in whatever spot we are in without them. So, to my family reading this, whether you are blood related, a friend, or a teammate, thank you.