The Sibling Syndrome

The Sibling Syndrome

Where do you fit in?

384
The Sibling Syndrome

Most of us are in a family where we have siblings. And it seems that from family to family, we all feel different ways regarding how our siblings are treated. In our family, it's definitely a treat to hear everyone's perspective, but this is how it basically breaks down for the four of us.

The oldest: You're the experimental child, the child of firsts. You get al lot of attention from mom and dad because your the first "baby" to grow up. You're missed when you go away for school, and it instantly becomes catch up time when you return. You try to keep things light, but sometimes it's unnecessary and it can come off as annoying. Sometimes you don't like doing adult activities and miss the good days. You basically set the expectation for the rest of the kids, so no pressure or anything.

The second: You're one of the middle children, the worst pace to be. You have opinions, but most of the time they're overshadowed for some reason. You go unnoticed a lot by your parents, but that's not bad all the time. You're independent, and try to create your own identity. A lot of the times you feel that family friends/ extended family forget about you because you're not always the center of attention, but they always remember you. You try to live up to the oldest standards, but you don't want to follow exactly in their footsteps, and it's sometimes annoying when other people assume that you want to do that. You've learned a lot about growing up because you've heard it all before from the oldest.

The third: You're the other middle child. You tend to be overshadowed, but you're used to it. You don't say much, but when you do insert a comment here and there it's at just the right time. It could be the comic relief, or just inserting the voice of reason. You're intellectual, spend a lot of time in your studies and extracurricular, and enjoy engaging in debates on various topics. You're very left-brained.

The youngest: it's like there's no rules when it comes to you. You basically get whatever you want. You get the most attention from mom and dad, and they're really chill with you. You get along with your other siblings occasionally, but then other times you tend to butt heads. You really like seeing all the family come together, and like to keep it positive. As soon as someone bashes someone in your family, you stick up for them. You don't want to be messed with when you're angry.

Basically, our family is on that stays together despite our differences. And even if we do get into an argument, it's pretty entertaining, and everyone laughs about it later on. For us, there's always a story to tell.

"It's family first and family last and family by and by." -The Addams Family