The Scandal Of Societal Norms

The Scandal Of Societal Norms

Gender specifics and why they're wrong.

2
The Scandal Of Societal Norms
Hatke Shaadi

Ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to be heard. I wanted to be treated fair, respected, and loved. But society gave me so called "norms" that build a bolder in what they think I am capable of doing.

The people of today do not understand how "minorities"—whether you are a woman, man, black, or white—are given limited options because of what we are told to be, how to act, and what is right. People today are defined or stereotyped based on their looks and where they come from. Since our birth and until our death, we will continue to be categorized by our gender. When one should be seen for what is inside rather than our physical features. One should look for the ambition, goals, standards, and striving one has to get through situations in which they are categorized and assumed to be something less than what they can be.

Feminism is defined as the belief that women are and should be treated as potential intellectual equals and social equals to men. Meninism is a man's sarcastic answer to feminism by complaining about the other gender oppressions.

Society pressures men and women to meet certain expectations that are considered to be "normal" when in reality we are still acting as though things have not developed throughout time. Expecting women to take care of the family, have children, please their husbands, clean, cook, and do laundry while having a job that does not go above her husband's title. Women are expected not to have a voice, speak up, or even stand out. They are not to be the breadwinners of the family and cannot be head of the house. As male images, we are given is the complete opposite of the duties of women. No cooking, cleaning, caring, or family responsibility and they are expected to have a well-paying job that supplies family needs.

And why do we see these gender expectations? Because the fear of equality. Granted something's have eased during time as we are trying to change society. Today many are stepping over barriers—a woman can now be CEO of a company, and a large percentage of men raise and supply for their family. But we as a society are surrounded by the normalities that one cannot help but search for the "normal" gender roles when looking for a partner.

Women want a man that can climb the social ladder, a man that can make a livable income for his family, a man to play with his children and love his wife just as a male looks for the "womanly" qualities in his wife or partner. A woman that cooks, cleans, provides for him in any way, a loving mother, and works to contribute to her family. But the part where gender becomes an issue is when one challenges or exceeds boundaries.

Any living person has something inside them that burns within when you see success someone of equality go above you. Someone with the same education, same story, and the same lifestyle should be presented an opportunity that is within their personal ability, making you want more and push yourself bringing a chain reaction to those once craved qualities.

We are all human and want to be seen and treated as equals, but we are so corrupt as men and women we often confused what we want with what is expected.