The Saving Grace of Reading

The Saving Grace of Reading

Or Looking Back on How You Survived/Escaped Middle School

31
The Saving Grace of Reading
Google Images

"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book," J.K. Rowling once said.

Anyone who grew up reading a good book in middle school will tell you likewise. Remember that fuzzy feeling you got when you curled up with a hooking story and rooted for the coming-of-age, young adult protagonist in middle school? The books we read then have a way of staying with us and bringing back tons of memories (some good, some bad). Here is a list of some of the books people are familiar with:

1. Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

Winner of the Newberry Medal, Shiloh is the first in the series of The Shiloh Quartet by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. The novel details the life of a young boy, Marty Preston, who lives in Friendly, West Virginia and the title character, Shiloh, an abused beagle. After discovering that the dog belongs to his neighbor, Judd Travers, who drinks too much, owns a gun, and abuses his dogs, Marty resolves to hide Shiloh after he runs away from Judd, fabricating a series of lies to protect the dog. Within the course of the novel, the secret becomes hard to keep and once the theft is discovered, Marty buys Shiloh from Judd.

Weaving in themes of love, abuse, animal-human relationships, and ethics, Shiloh has been a treasure for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7fGNsgCcHc

2. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Dubbed by C.S. Lewis as a fantasy novel for children, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is set in Narnia, a land of talking animals and mythical creatures. Unfortunately, all are threated by a witch and a hundred years of winter but never Christmas. Imbibed with Christian mythology, middle-school readers of The Chronicles of Narnia will get a sense of nostalgia for the adventures of the Pevensie children, Tumnus, and Aslan (not to mention the old crappy version of the BBC proadcasting prior the 2005 version).

3. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter, the boy who lived, still holds the hearts of millions of children, even after the films and books came to a conclusion. The Sorcerer's Stone was the first gateway to Hogwarts School and Harry's crazy adventures with nutty professors, mixed potions, trolls, three-headed dogs based on classical mythology, tasks, and riddles and a double-headed man.

4. Sounder by William H. Armstrong

Detailing the story of an African-American boy living with his sharecropper family, the story explores hope in the face of slavery and discrimination. After stealing ham from work, the boy's father is arrested by the local sheriff and two of his deputies with their dog, Sounder, chasing after them. Unfortunately, Sounder ends up shot and missing. Winner of the Newberry Medal-winning prize, this classic shows the courage, love, and faith that bind an African American family together despite the racism and inhumanity of the day. Readers who enjoy timeless dog stories will adore this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulCdv0OMY1U

5. Holes by Louis Sachar

Another Newberry Medal winner! After being sent to a boys' detention center at Camp Green Lake (a place with no lake, only a lot of holes) Stanely Yelnats digs not only to build character but to uncover the truth of his family's curse. An inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime, punishment, and redemption.

6. Freak, the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

Readers who fell in love with Freak, the Mighty will remember Maxwell Kane, a slow learner stuck in a teenage giant and Kevin Avery, the tiny yet physically handicapped Einstein. Together, they form to create a formidable human force against teenage angst. Freak, the Mighty strikes again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUm_Xg8ZuPo

7. Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan

Based on the greek gods and goddesses of classical myth, Rick Riordan brainstorms adventure and mythology into the modern world (before the films ruined it) with protagonist Percy Jackson and his friends at Camp Half-Blood.

8. The Pinballs by Betsy Byars

Three foster children, Harvey, Carlie, and Thomas J have been taken to the Jasons at a foster home. Carlie, the hostile of the three, compare the title characters to pinballs, controlled by external forces and at the whims of fate.

9. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

After her father, a government scientist, goes missing, Meg Murray goes on a journey with her brother to find him. The story covers adventures in space and time.

10. The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi

A historical fiction novel, The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle covers the evolution of title character, Charlotte Doyle, as she learns about life aboard a ship. The novel was well received and won several awards, including being named as a Newberry Honor book.

11. The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod by Zac Brewer

Vampire Vladimir Tod experiences life as an eighth grader. A very misunderstood child, Vlad lost his parents in a tragic house fire and searches for clues to find the killer. Credited for best writing.