The Root of Our Problem

The Root of Our Problem

America is at a cross-roads and now's the time to change.

24
The Root of Our Problem
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/09/24/636418656646737250-688986641_DiscoverUnity.jpg

I heard something today. An idea that stuck in my head – a good way to describe why people view immigrants so negatively. Trevor Noah, the whole package by the way (funny, smart, attractive, etcetera, etcetera), does stand-up and when I found this out you better believe I was running to the couch and tossing Netflix on the screen. This is my kind of stand-up comedy, intelligently humorous.

Anyway, in his stand-up, he did a segment on accents and how powerful they are. Scientifically thinking, one’s accent has absolutely no correlation with intelligence. Yet somehow, we make a connection instinctually. We hear a British accent and instantly we are more interested in that person (I am 100% guilty of this, to be honest). Going a step further, we find them more attractive than an American man, because we equivalate their accent with charm and intelligence. As if British men are somehow more charming and decent and smart than American men.

He goes on to talk about accents versus language. When you hear a Russian speaking in our language, English, we get uncomfortable because it sounds off – it sounds strange and unnatural. That’s because it’s them interpreting our language. Also, let’s just appreciate that foreigners often speak really great English when we can only say hi, coffee, and where’s the bathroom in their language. However, when they speak in their own language it’s really beautiful. It also doesn’t sound strange like when non-native speakers speak English, because they are speaking their native language, not interpreting ours with their rules.

Sure, this small point seems trivial in the grand scheme of America’s issues, but maybe if people could realize what that odd feeling is when they see/hear an immigrant, then maybe we can realize it’s not fear. It’s discomfort (which isn’t much better), but the more fear I can dispense the better. That’s what our problem is; fear and hatred. Some of you are reading this and thinking, You idiot, violence and stupidity are the real problems, not fear. And my response is, well what causes violence? Fear. Eliminate fear and hatred and you thereby eliminate the violence.

If you turn on the news, the world as a whole seems to be spiraling, yes, I realize it’s hurricane season and there are only ever horrible things that are shown on the news, but still. The weather is crazy, there seems to be death multiple times daily, what with terrorism in London, hurricanes, earthquakes, and protests turning ugly. It’s as if someone, after years and years of some amazing illusion, pulled down the veil, shattering this image that we are somehow way passed racism, islamophobia, and homophobia.

It’s unrealistic to assume one young adult can just write an article and hope people will read it and start rethinking how they think and what they say/do, but that doesn’t mean I’m not gonna do it. I’m not sure how some Americans do it. How they continue to support a man who said ‘bitch’ publicly and no one blinked, but had Obama said that, there would be an uproar. People who carry around confederate flags claiming that it is a source of pride for their heritage and throw tantrums when someone wants to take down a racist statue. Their argument being that it is history and we’re trying to erase it. Not to be blunt and rude, but maybe you’ve heard of a book? Open one, and the pages will easily remind you of how your ancestors enslaved other people simply because their skin was darker and has continued to oppress and take away their rights. People who would rather judge and hate than love and let be.

That’s the biggest thing I don’t understand. Isn’t it exhausting to spread hate and judgement. Is your fear so strong, change so terrifying, that you can’t even fathom being kind?

I saw a beautiful movement forward the other day. It was a quick video of a pro-trump rally. Black Lives Matters showed up to protest the rally and one would assume that things would get ugly, but they didn’t. One of the leaders of the Black Lives Matter was brought on stage and given one minute to speak his mind. Most of what he said, that they were all humans with the same rights, was cheered at in agreement. After he had the floor, they shook hands and others even took pictures with this man who was a part of the Black Lives Matter group.

This is the type of progress I am talking about. Not letting your beliefs and political views destroy humanity. And I mean humanity as our essence, not physically killing people (although that is also a pressing threat right now). And I'm not saying that it's so easy. I realize that trying to changing your world view and alter the way you think and the way you speak is difficult, but it's essential to saving the world and where humanity is at right now. Without our humanity, common compassion and kindness, we might as well be dead, because there is nothing we won’t sink to. Have your beliefs, have them differ from others, that’s not the problem. The problem is you expecting me to believe everything you say and agree with you. It’s a myth that you can’t get along with people because of their political views. Most of my extended family have highly different political views than I do, but I don’t let that dictate my life and behavior. You can support Trump and still be a decent person who doesn’t retort to violence and hatred, just don’t expect me to agree with your opinions and I won’t expect you to agree with mine.