The Role Of Music In Our Lives

The Role Of Music In Our Lives

Have you ever stopped to think about how much we rely on music?

3433
The Role Of Music In Our Lives
Bailey Brothers

Music is really important in our world. It always seems to know what we're feeling. If you're sad, there is a song out there that describes what you're feeling. If you're happy, there is a song out there that blares the enthusiasm that you feel. Music can put things into words the feelings that you are not able to describe.

Music brings back memories. A song can remind you of a time in your life and bring back all the memories that go with it. For me, memories that are brought on through music are usually happy. There are certain songs that remind me of Friday night football games with my friends, long weekends at club volleyball tournaments or homecoming dances. But sometimes a song might bring back snapshots of not so great times in your past. Like a song that reminds you of an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend. Or music can be used in bad situations in a way to block out the situation or to figure out exactly how we are feeling. For most of us, the majority of music reminds you of things like a great summer you had with friends and family.

Music can connect two people. It can give you something to bond over. It can be from listening to the same music, going to concerts or playing music together; music can bring people together. When I get to know someone, one of the first things I ask when I meet them is what kind of music they like to listen to. I like a wide variety of music, but I tend to lean towards country and Christian music. I seem to bond a lot quicker with others who listen to this type of music. It's as if liking the same kind of music can build a bridge to diminish the differences that may be between two people.

Music is freeing. Have you ever gone to a concert and just let yourself go? Listening to the performer, singing or humming along and dancing to the rhythm with everyone else in the crowd is invigorating. There's nothing like it. Everyone from all over the world comes together to listen to that performer and it always ends up being a great time. There's nothing like losing your voice at a concert. It's one of the few times in life when you are actually okay with having no voice and a little bit of a sore throat. My favorite part about music is the way I can let go and be silly singing along and dancing. I cannot sing or dance, but when my favorite songs come on it doesn't matter, suddenly I'm singing my heart out and dancing out of control. Thanks to music, long car rides aren't so bad. I put on some of my favorite songs and start singing along and before I know it I'm lost in the music. By the time I get to where I'm going I usually am surprised by how quickly the time went and a little bit of a scratchy throat from singing at the top of my lungs. I'm not sure how most of us would get through life without music.