The reality of being a goal setter
Wellbeing

The reality of being a goal setter

selfish and not sorry

41
The reality of being a goal setter

Goal: the object of a persons ambition or effort

I've always been a big dreamer. When I found something to be passionate about, I dove head first into it without ever second guessing myself. Where most people saw a seed, I saw the entire forest. I let my imagination go as far as it could. As I got older, I realized that those dreams needed to be backed by goals in order to be reached. Goals take action. Goals take dedication. Goals have an attainable end game in mind. Goals can be small, big, and every size in between. Goals are the many small successes that make a dream reality. These are the truths I've learned from being a goal setter:

1. You will have to be selfish (to a degree)

And yes, that's okay. Nobody is going to see the bigger picture except for you. More times than not, you are going to be the only person believing in you. Nobody else is going to be able to push you. Nobody can reach your goals for you. It is on you to make it happen and that's going to require time and effort. You are allowed to be selfish with your time. You are allowed to say no to going out because you need to stay in and write, or workout, or paint, or study, or do whatever you need to do. You are allowed to tell that guy/girl that you don't have time for a relationship right now. You are allowed to cut back hours at work in order to get the degree you want. You do not need to apologize for being driven. Do what you need to do and don't think twice about it.

2. It will require early mornings and late nights

Successful people do not sleep in. While they are sleeping, you will be up and already finishing your workout session or putting in extra hours at the office. While they sleep in, you take a step closer to your goal. Success requires sacrifice. It requires priorities. Sleep is going to be one of the many things you have to sacrifice in order to reach your goals (at a healthy level of course). Every morning you will have to ask yourself, "how bad do you want it and what are you willing to sacrifice for it?" Side note: put your alarm across the room. Seriously, it works.

3. Not everyone is going to stick around

We live in a world where failure is inevitable. Yet, fear of failure is still the single most powerful thing keeping people from trying. When people don't believe in themselves, they will tend to not believe in you either. This has nothing to do with your ability, or what you are capable of achieving. Many will tell you that your goals aren't realistic, and that's only because it's not realistic for them. You'll have to constantly remind yourself that their insecurities have nothing to do with you. You will probably lose some people in your life, and that's ok because I promise the ones God designed for you to be in relationship with will stick around.

4. Despite the critique of everyone else, you will still manage to be your biggest critic

As a dreamer and goal setter, it's really easy to get down on yourself because your expectations are high. Don't worry though, this is just a mindset change. Start catching your negative thoughts and replacing them with positive ones. Wake up and read affirmations to yourself (mine are on my closet door). Write a letter to yourself from a positive perspective and read it when you are struggling to believe that you can do it. It is so easy to compete with other people, but comparison is the thief of joy. Success is subjective and your definition of success may be completely different than others. Make sure that the only person you are competing with is yourself.

Dreaming big and setting high goals for yourself isn't always easy. It's hard to believe so much in something when others believe so little. Proverbs 19:21 says, "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails". When you feel called to something and discover your purpose, God will equip you and provide for that according to his will. In all that you do, do it to the best of your ability and with glory aimed towards the Creator. Never stop setting goals, and never give up because you have no idea how close to the blessing you are.