What Society Really Considers Beauty To Be

A call to disapprove the societal trend of makeup and renew our mindsets.

8
http://wearyourvoicemag.com/
"You have a beautiful mindset at your age."

Full of joy, this was the response I gave to my little sister after she expressed to me that she already loves the way she looks, embracing that she is God's creation and felt no need to add anything extra to her appearance, most specifically, makeup. It was wonderful to hear that, as it seems rare for a ten year old girl to feel this way, while growing up in a society that consciously and subconsciously believes otherwise.

Brace yourselves, because this will be nothing but raw truth. For women who wear makeup, I am just the messenger, no need to kill me (Emmanuel just got himself into some big trouble). Whether you wear it or don't wear it, I have nothing but love for you. After all, this message will likely be hated by businesses such as Sephora and Mary Kay, but it is all good.

This is not a message to strongly express disagreement of females (and males also) wearing makeup by listing facts on the ingredients of makeup and how it is detrimental to your skin; It is almost useless to use that as a reason to convince women to not wear it. That seems to be the minor issue involving makeup, as it does not help or change any mind at all. A great amount of women are already aware of what's in makeup, and still choose to use it. This in itself shows that the trend of wearing makeup has more of an mental essence and an influence subconsciously on women who feel the need and love to wear it.

Cosmetics date all the way back to the beginning of the Egyptian civilizations. During that time, it mostly used to treat scars and wrinkles and such things. Then, makeup in itself, became common among many other civilizations for disguising or elaborately appearing more attractive. Even though media and entertainment can be considered a major influence on society, this is beyond the woman or man model posing in makeup or any kind of art form using makeup for artistry. This message is for all women in our society, who feel the need to wear makeup. It is evident that makeup is one of those trends that this society has practiced so much, that it has become a norm and we've become blind and numb to the reason of why we choose to wear it and admire it.

We may all come into agreement, that in this one phrase which I have heard plenty of times, that the central idea of wearing Makeup is "It enhances my skin, facial features, and beauty."

Oh really? So basically, the main reason why people wear makeup is honestly, to give off a charming impression to themselves and mostly to others. Makeup, technically, does "enhance" your features, but it also gives a false impression. According to society, our physical flaws are not presentable. It all goes back to the source of the issue. All of one's physical deficiencies and their real presence is being hidden behind makeup. It's as if the woman is presenting herself different from who she really is. Metaphorically, this is exactly how humans can be. Not transparent, and avoiding our expressions of weakness. Humans judge off of appearances first. Looking "presentable" is the key to people admiring you at first sight. Not character or personality, but how you look.

I encourage you to avoid that faulty mindset and trend that this society has approved. Yes, our eyes and emotions were made to embrace what is beautiful to the eye, but what is truly beautiful, is the woman in her natural state, being God's creation. More importantly, the most beautiful people in the world are those of good moral, character and faith. In the book of Proverbs of the Bible, there is a chapter that speaks well on the value of a virtuous woman, which whom real beauty is found within. A powerful verse within that chapter says:

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." - Proverbs 31:30

Accompanied by many other verses that explain the actions and beauty of the virtuous woman, this verse sums it all, that a woman who fears the Lord is the utmost beautiful woman, and this is what should be praised. It's beyond her appearance, its her character, faith and true belief that shows forth her beauty overall. To conclude, Christ being our creator represents beauty in its complete form, and if a woman can embody his character and live according to his spirit, that woman is indeed worthy to be praised. She is beautiful inside because of Christ and naturally beautiful physically because that is how she was created.

Regardless of what society practices and admires, there really is no need for her facial appearance to appear "beautiful" according to its standard. This is a calling for us to embrace our natural beauty but even more and mainly, stay more focused on our character and mindsets. Impact people with more of who you are, than of your appearance.

God Bless.