The Real Meaning Of "You Do You"

The Real Meaning Of "You Do You"

This popular phrase should mean more than it does.

54414
The Real Meaning Of "You Do You"
Addison Sandoval

Whenever someone, most likely a friend, says that they are going to do something because they want to, the typical response I have noticed is "you do you." Sometimes some people, including me, add in a "bro," "dude," or even "boo" at the end of it. It is kind of just encouraging another person to do what they want and to not care if anyone judges their decision, because they know what is best for themselves. Do not get me wrong, doing what you think is right for your sake is good, but people take this phrase overboard.

You do you within reason. People in our generation need to understand that, yes, doing something without the fear of judgment is so freeing, but at the same time they need to think of who they really are. Just because you feel like you can do anything you want by living by this phrase, it does not mean you need to do anything and everything. Stay true to who you are and do it proudly. Express yourself in a way that you are confident in embracing things that projects who you really are without going overboard and becoming something you are not.

You do you with friends. Doing things yourself can be good because everyone needs alone time and time to just reflect on life. However, this does not mean that you cannot do things without friends. Have the people who love and care for you join in on your adventures because they will make them 10 times better. They will support you since they should know the real you and what you love to do. They would love to join you in doing what you love to do because they love you and want to see you happy.

You do you, but not because our society says so. Most people have taken this as following what everyone else is doing even though it is supposed to mean to do the exact opposite. Since the phrase has become so popular within our society, everyone is now practicing it. I'm not saying stop being you; what I am saying is be you because you want to be you, not because our society has decided that it is cool to express yourself. Make the decision to show who you are because you want to and, in the words of the Biebs, because you love yourself.

You do you with love. Like I said, love yourself, but then once you get that far, spread that love. You do not want to keep all that love to yourself. Do things you love, and as you do this people will see that you love what you do, whether it is your occupation or hobby. The passion you show will provoke other people to pursue what they want to do. So, even though you are doing you, you are essentially helping others as well.

"You do you," but with confidence and style.