The REAL Emmy Winners

The REAL Emmy Winners

Gawk over the person in the gown, instead of the gown.

25
The REAL Emmy Winners

Listen, I can gawk over gorgeous gowns and cringe at the biggest blunders until the sun don't shine, like most other young females. What I can't do, is let the focus of a public event remain skin(or gown) deep. Sure it's easy to ask a celebrity what they're wearing just to get through the 2 minute time-slot the media outlets have for each interview, but I want more. I would like to see something of more substance that will allow me to gawk at the person in the gown, instead of the gown itself. In an attempt to look beyond the attire of all of these celebrities, I decided to give some awards of my own creation.

Best Pre-show Instagram

Kristen Bell

This Disney princess has no problem showing her fans that she's a human just like us. She gets acne, she gets bags under her eyes (more than understandable for a mother of 2 little girls), and she eats pizza! KBell kept it light-hearted and goofy with behind the scenes pictures of her pre-show preparation process.

Getting ready for the #emmys...Look closely...I have serious doubts this is actually a lip conditioning sticker my makeup artist @simonesiegl applied over my mouth...I'm pretty sure she just wanted me to zip it.
A photo posted by kristen bell (@kristenanniebell) on

<script async defer src="//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js"></script>

Caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and said, confidently, "This looks GREAT guys! Let's go!" Then was informed we're only half way done. Oh well. #emmys

The shading on my chin tonight was courtesy of @pizzasauce. #pizzasauce #emmys

When you need a non surgical boob lift to perfectly fit into you emmy dress: Step 1. Tape your nipple to your shoulder. Step 2. Repeat on opposite side. #leukoflextape #honesty

Most Confident In Their Skin

Kerry Washington

Flashback to 2014 when, first time expecting mother, Kerry Washington stepped out on the red carpet at the SAG Awards donning a crop top and skirt which exposed about 4 inches of her relatively small pregnant stomach. There was an unnecessary media uproar over her exposed baby bump. Now cut to 2016, Kerry is expecting her second child and arrived at the Emmys in a form fitting gown with cutout sides. This dress choice was a clear message that Kerry feels no shame for showing off the miracle of life that her body is creating, nor should she or anyone else. Kerry was glowing as she walked down the red carpet with smiles from ear to ear as she proudly showed off her stomach

Most Moving Acceptance Speech

TIE

Jeffrey Tambor

After addressing the previous joke about his notoriously long acceptance speeches, the Transparent actor went as far as to cut off the cut off music so he could adress an issue close to his heart. Tambor, who plays a transgender woman, sent a message to Hollywood saying that transgender actors must be given a fair opportunity within the industry. He was grateful for his Best Actor in a Comedy Series award, but had no problem saying cisgender actors should no longer be put in transgender roles when there are a numberof transgender actors looking for and deserving ofwork. The power of this speech was evident in Tambor's peers as the camera panned through the audience, but the most reassuring feedback came later in the show when, transgender actor, Laverne Cox took time to reiterate Tambor's speech and add how grateful she was that someone gave her a chance.

Julia Louis Dryfus

There wasn't a dry eye in the house or in the homes of millions of viewers when the Veep actor dedicated her Outstanding Lead Actress award to her father who passed away just 2 days prior to the show. There was a noticeable "awww" from the crowd when this information was disclosed to end the previously light-hearted and comedic speech. It was easy to connect with Louis-Dreyfus on a more personal level after she stated "his opinion was the one that really mattered." This speech was a reminder that actors are human too and value family and feel most accomplished when they make their family proud.

Most Fun Had On The Red Carpet

Priyanka Chopra

Chances are, 2 years ago you had no clue who Priyanka Chopra was. A breakthrough role in ABC's Quantico put the actors name into the mouths of millions. Since Quantico premiered, Chopra could be found at almost every big Hollywood event, bringing one thing with her to every event. Her energy. Much like Kerry Washington, Chopra glows with energy and joy on every red carpet, showing us how excited and grateful she really is to be there. Chopra literally spun down the red carpet in her gown to show off its layers. Yes, the dress was beautiful, but I couldn't focus on anything other than the excitement she had on her face every time she spun. The Quantico star's glow doesn't end after the red carpet. As she stepped out alongside Tom Hiddleston to present an award, Chopra recreated her red carpet spin with a smile on her face.

Most Shocking Interview Topic

Amy Schumer

You can't say you didn't see this one coming... The comedian is known for being very outgoing and having relatively no boundaries for what comes out of her mouth. During her very bleep-edited interview with Giuliana Rancic, Schumer gave proper credit to the designers of her gown and shoes, then took it one step further to share that she was also sporting an O.B tampon. Rancic genuinely had no idea how to react which made for a very awkward ending to this interview. If Schumer was the last person to ever be asked who she was wearing, I'd be more than o.k with that.

Funniest On-Stage Interaction

TIE

Kerry Washington and Tony Goldwyn

The stars of ABC's Scandal have great chemistry both on and off screen. Kerry may not be a high power DC fixer in real life and Tony Goldwyn isn't the President (bummer, right?), and there's no scandalous affair between the two actors, but every off-screen interaction with these two is filled with laughs and smiles. This made for a great presentation when they praised writers and their specific ability to work with actors depending on what real life situations they have thrown at them. Cut to a wide shot of a very pregnant Kerry Washington.. yup, those kinds of situations.

Jimmy Kimmel and Matt Damon

These two have potentially the greatest "celebrity feud" of all time. After years of poking fun at each other online and through sketches on Kimmels show Jimmy Kimmel Live, the two took to the big stage sunday to take their good natured fun to the next level. Kimmel was at the butt end of the joke this time around. After having just lost for Outstanding Variety Series, Damon casually emerged from backstage and used Kimmel's loss to his advantage.