What Do Black People Want?

What Do Black People Want?

The world may not like to admit it but we are an impactful people.

149
What Do Black People Want?
Cafe Press

That question was asked to political activist and writer, Kevin Powell, who was invited by the Black Student Union to speak on modern-day inequality issues. His perspective on many issues was very enlightening and at the very end, a young lady went on to ask a question her teacher asked the class. “What do Black people want”? Immediately my hand shot up without hesitation. That question resonated within me because it summed up everything that I have spoken to regarding the current state of people of color. So, what do Black people want?

In order to understand the concept of the question, you would have to understand the meaning behind it. I say this because it may seem like a straightforward question, but for it to be asked not only shows how some people think about the current conditions in which black people are in but also the insensitivity some may have regarding the conditions. For the purpose of this article, I reference “Black people” inclusive of African-Americans, African-Caribbean’s, native-born Africans and any other people of color who wish to be recognized as being black. First let’s take a look at the taught history of Black people. We were all born into slavery.

It’s as simple as that. According to the history textbooks, that’s all we know about black history. The Trans-Atlantic slave trade was the period of our conception and thereafter we developed as slaves to serve the White Master. I know it seems ludicrous to present such a notion. Of course black people weren’t born into slavery, but when I and students across the nation read history textbooks in grade school, black people start becoming relevant at the beginning of the Trans-Atlantic Slave trade lesson. The history of Black people predates any other civilization on the face of this earth. The more “in your face” ancient civilization’s such as the Greeks and Romans wouldn’t have existed if it weren’t for the ancient Africans.

Hip Hop is a culture of its own that has had an immense influence on the world and more specifically this generation. This culture has changed drastically over the past 20 years, yet it still remains the #1 impersonated culture. I say this because Hip Hop is essentially a “Black Culture.” This does not mean that other ethnicities haven’t been a part of the culture but it means that other people have had taken aspects of the culture and incorporated it into their own.

These aspects include everything from fashion all the way down to language. The impressive part is how much of the white community started to emulate aspects such as wearing du-rags, the gold teeth, and chains, baggy clothes (the early 2000s). Even speech and behavioral patterns were being copied such as the “ Gangsta Lean.” You know, the walk that has a certain rhythm to it. One foot slowly placed in front of the other with a slight lean back to it. Rapper Fat Joe popularized it by writing the song " Lean Back."

Hip hop isn’t the only genre that is widely influential. R&B is definitely a source for a plethora of singers of many different backgrounds who strive to have a touching quality to their singing. This quality is known as “soul”. We’ve all seen and heard it. From American Idol contestants to Youtube videos, everyone tries to emulate this passionate way of singing or rather this “Black” way of singing. Let's be honest. Black singers do have a very different sound to their voice. They have greatly impacted every kind of singer in some shape or form. From belting to riffs and runs, the black voice has affected singers throughout the generations.

This aspect of “soul” has even transpired into cooking. Soul food: cornbread, collard greens, macaroni and cheese, stuffing, fried chicken and all the delicious food that has been heavily associated with black people. This is not to say that other people don’t cook this kind of food but it is widely known that there is a stigma when it comes to Black people cooking. We cook with love. It seems like that is a popular answer when you ask a black chef, whether they are professional or your grandma, and you ask them their secret for such good food, they reply “ I cook with love” This kind of love in food has taken the world by storm. Who doesn’t love a plate of Fried chicken, potato salad, Macaroni and Cheese and cornbread?

You may now ask yourself “what does all of this have to do with what black people want”? The common thread that ties all of this together is an influence. We have had the greatest influence on the world. From ancient times when Blacks influenced civilizations such as The Greeks and Romans with the teachings of astrology, science, math, medicine, engineering etc, down to modern times with music, dance, fashion, food etc, it is undeniable what we want is deserving recognition for our contribution to the world.

The history textbooks do not dare mention the major contributions to the world that Blacks have made. Instead, it gives minimal information about black history prior to slavery and only focuses on the important leaders during the civil rights movement. I believe the reason why we are so influential is because we were the original trendsetters. We continue to influence to this very day and without realizing just how much the world takes notice of everything that we do as it is evident when it comes to music, dance and fashion.

The world may not like to admit it but we are an impactful people. It is in us to help the world as we did so long ago with love and compassion. We must use that influence for the betterment of ourselves and for the rest of the world. What we want is our rightful place in the world. To be given credit for all the accomplishments we have made and to be respected as a people. That's what we want.

Happy Black History Month