The Pros And Cons Of Requiring Women To Register For Selective Service

5061
USMC Life

In July 2016, Congress passed a bill that would require all 18 year old females to register for selective service starting in January 2018. Before this bill was passed, only males were required to register.

Although the draft has been discontinued since 1973, there might be a major war in the future that requires all of our young, able adults to fight for our country. That is why selective service still exists.

Failure to sign up for selective service can bar women from certain types of financial aid (especially aid given by the government). This bill has the potential to stir up some controversy. Let us look over why it can be a good idea or why it isn't such a good idea after all.

Pros:

1) Females can work in jobs that were once only designated for males. For the longest time, girls could not fight on the front lines. The reasons for this fact were because many people thought women were not capable or as strong as their male counterparts. Although some jobs in the military require more effort from a female, it is still possible to achieve the same standard. Since the gender gap in the military has become more equal, women will have more opportunities than ever before to serve their country. I truly believe that serving in the United States military is one of the greatest honor in the world.

2) This bill erases all the traditional beliefs about what roles women and men play in society. Ever since ancient times, society considered women to be the providers for their family: they were the ones who shopped for the food, cooked the food, cleaned the house, stayed at home, and cared for the children. The men went to work, brought home the money to feed the family and pay the bills/taxes, and in cases when their nation was threatened, they would go off to war. These roles do need to be erased in today's society.

3) In today's world, it is necessary for women to obtain a college degree. Unfortunately, the cost of attending college is not affordable for most families and most college students end up in tens of thousands of dollars of debt. Having the opportunity to serve our country comes with benefits such as the GI bill. These benefits can reduce the amount of loans a college student has to take out to fund their education.

4) The opportunity to serve in the U.S. military prepares women for the real world by teaching lessons they will carry on for the rest of their lives. Learning to respect/follow orders from your superiors, living by the honor code ("I will not lie, cheat, or steal or tolerate those who do"), and accepting responsibility are character traits that will go far in life. Employers will be more likely to hire you if you are able to state that you served in the military on your resume as well.

Cons:

1) Unfortunately, this bill was passed by some individuals who have never served in the military before. They do not understand the amount of commitment it requires to serve and defend our country.

2) Yes, there are some women even at eighteen years of age that are still planning on getting married after high school graduation, are in the process of starting a family, or already have children they have to take care of. If these women are required to register, there might be a chance their children will not see their mother. The most crucial moments for a woman to be present for their husband and/or children are during the very first years of marriage and/or childhood.

3) The United States is a democracy. As a democracy, we should not force anyone to do anything that they do not want to do. Some women want to obtain a college diploma and/or pursue careers outside of the military (like my younger sisters). Some women dislike the chain of command that is present in the military. We should let our women do what makes them happy.

4) Some parents do not agree with their children serving the military. Although eighteen year olds can legally make their own decisions, they still seek their parent's approval in a few specific cases. Some of these cases include: Do you approve of me dating this boy? Do you approve of me marrying this boy (because if your parents disagree with the marriage it could mean trouble with the in-laws for the boy you're marrying)? What college I should attend: Does it fit the family budget, prepare me for my dream career, offer the major I want etc? And... can I join the military? Joining the military is a huge decision and if there is not agreement from the parental side, that can be an issue. I know for many parents, it is not easy saying their final goodbyes to their child as he or she heads off to boot camp and/ or active duty. If a parent's child is stationed to fight in the front lines, it is very scary because there is a chance that they might never see their child again.

Also, some parents (like mine) do approve and encourage their child to join the military, however, they want to make sure their child receives their college degree before they join the military so that they can obtain a higher rank, have more opportunities, and higher pay etc.