The Pros And Cons Of Graduating Early

The Pros And Cons Of Graduating Early

The best and worst parts of entering the real world

2258
The Pros And Cons Of Graduating Early
huffpost.com

If college truly is "the best four years of your life" as so many people say, why are more and more students each year looking to shorten that time and leave behind their alma mater's a semester, or even an entire school-year, early?

Increased numbers of high school AP credits, summer courses and alternative academic work opportunities mean that many students are now able to complete their degrees in less time than the traditional four-year model. These resources combined with ever increasing tuition prices and anxiety about unemployment rates have millions of millennials considering early graduation as their best option. However, the early bird path also involves some unexpected social and employment sacrifices that students usually don't think of before submitting their "Intent to Graduate" form.

If you're one of the many U.S. college students considering whether early-graduation is the right path for you, here are some key points you need to consider:

Pro: Saving on Tuition Bills

By far the biggest motivation for early graduation is the thousands (and some times even tens of thousands) of dollars that you'll save not paying tuition. With the current outrageous prices of American universities, student debt is one of the greatest sources of stress for our generation. If you're able to decrease that burden by getting out early, your wallet (and your parents!) will definitely thank you.

Con: Dealing With Loan Payments Sooner

Unfortunately, it seems like the second you move that tassel to the other side of the graduation cap, the bank is suddenly calling to ask when you'll be sending in that first student loan payment. If you're ready to get a jump on the real world just make sure you use your last semester in the university safety-net to work out a detailed payment schedule and financial plan for the future.

Pro: A Jumpstart On The Job Hunt

December grads often have an easier time getting job interviews and landing full-time positions than their Spring graduation counterparts. Not only does having an entire additional semester free give them more free time to dedicate towards writing cover letters and submitting applications, they also have less competition because they're resumes won't be mixed in with the millions of other unemployed grads applying for the same spots come April and May.

Con: Less Access To University Career Resources

However, you'll also be leaving behind free, easy-access to many university resources and alumni networks that seek to set up students with prestigious jobs after graduation. Most college career fairs, academic internship programs, and online job databases are only available to full-time students. Sadly, most students don't even realize that these opportunities exist until it's too late--so make sure that you make the most of these incredibly helpful resources for all four years that you're on campus because you'll definitely miss the convenience of having someone pre-screen job listings for you once you have to do it yourself on Monster.com. P.S. also make sure to reach out early to your professors and lock down a few killer letters of recommendation.

Pro: Time To Add Real-Life Resume Experiences

Graduating early gives you another impressive credential to set your resume apart from tons of other hopefuls because it shows that you're dedicated, hard-working, and able to quickly accomplish your goals. Plus, you can also use the extra semester that you would have been in class to seek out alternative experiences such as volunteer work, full-time internships, Teach for America, or even travel abroad!

Con: Leaving Friends/Senior Year FOMO

Everyone always says that "college is the best four years of your life." So for those of us who choose to make those 4 years three-and-a-half or even less, it's easy to feel like we're missing out on the fun. Not only does graduating early mean less time to make memories with your college friends, it also means you'll probably skip a lot of the classic big Senior Send Off events and exclusive senior traditions that most university's put on at the end of the school year.

Pro: Reuniting To Walk In The Spring

Ultimately though, college is not about Senior goody bags, mixers, or dining plans. It's about earning your degree and putting everything you learned to good use out in the real world. If you have worked hard enough to earn the credits to reach that goal a little sooner, be proud. And if you're still feeling apprehensive, remember that almost all schools allow December grads to come back and walk in the big Graduation ceremony in May. You'll still get to live that classic college moment and know that you're way ahead of the game.